HIDDEN MOLD CAN CAUSE MANY SYMPTOMS

I feel a need to share this....i am going to a new dr that told me herh story...she all of a sudden got fatigue tired muscle aches hair loss skin issues you name it and kept getting worse....she went to one dr after another and each wanted to label it and give her pills but she said she knew there had to be a cause but everyone brushed that off so she went back to school to add a naturpath license to her MD license and MOLD kept coming up with so many symptoms so she checked for mold at her home calling in a mold removal company that come to your house and check moisture levels etc and she was shocked. they found it in her walls of her home and although she couldnt see it , she as sick as a dog already diagnose with auto immune and RA etc and could barely walk......it is also common to find it in air ducts and heat /air units etc bathroom , etc......long story short...she is completely well now and wonders how many are misdiagnosed....they are a list of many systems you can google and everyone doesnt have all of them and also sometimes one person is highly sensitive to it so a husband may be fine and the wife deathly ill ...etc....like in her case ....the list of systems are auto immune, sinus, ear ringing, aches and pains, hair loss thinning, sudden weight gain or loss, headaches, GOOGLE THE LIST.....and everyone please look for mold or check our your homes closely...i was shocked we found it in our ductwork...the a/c unit wasBNOTBpulling the moisture out of the air properly

Last edited by

18 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I wonder if that's why I feel lousy so much, it's not hidden mould here though it's very visible damp everywhere it's awful. Thankfully moving in a couple of weeks though

  • Make sure you don't ever dry clothes indoors without opening a window - even when it is cold outside - that's one of the main causes of mould and damp. Also always use the extractor fan or open the window when having a bath or shower. That's especialy important if you are trying to save on central heating. You might save money on heating but you'll ruin the property and your health. Just breathing causes damp if the property is not aired and heated!

  • That's all very well but if it isn't possible to eradicate it or move what do you do? I don't have hidden mould, I have visible mould, the house is an old Welsh farmhouse and is saturated with damp. Even though we have done as much as we could afford to stop water coming in, the walls of the house are thick and you can feel the moisture when you return to the house having been in a dry environment like hospital, that I have just returned from.

    Having said all this I first got ill in a new build that was totally dry and had an amazing ventilation system. That was a housing association house. Now we own this house, we aren't going to sell it on some nebulous idea that I might recover if we could possibly find a dry house, we could only afford this house becuase of the state it was in. So what do you do? Do I leave my family? make us all, homeless?

  • I suppose you could apply insulated plasterboard in the problem areas -- I think I'm right in saying that stone walls are less heat-efficient than single-glazed windows, which contribute to loss of comfort mainly due to draughts.

    Old buildings may encourage making most use of one room, so concentrate your efforts there. A wood or multi-fuel stove would help with airflow.

    Cold and damp rooms would benefit from use of a dehumidifier, but you don't want the continuing expense without solving the cause.

    Best wishes!

  • Thanks, but if you insulate a room you don't rid yourself of the mould spores they are still there and in fact you create more conditions for condensation without serious ventialtion systems. Contrary to popular myth stone walls are more heat insulating than one thinks, certainly more so than single windows, our walls are over a foot thick and once heated up maintain room temperature better than when I have lived in similarly old but brick properties. Mould is everywhere, if the person who got ill wasn't even aware of it and was made ill, you can't board it out of a house. You have to sleep somewhere too. Really I should go round with a suit and mask on. LOL

  • Hello there, I don't have this book myself (yet) but it could be helpful: Mold Illness and Mold Remediation Made Simple (Discount Black & White Edition): Removing Mold Toxins from Bodies and Sick Buildings Paperback – 13 Nov 2007

    by James Schaller, MD and Gary Rosen, PhD (Author)

    PS: I don't have any financial or other links to any authors/publishers.

    Wishes of better health.

  • thank you Kummitati

  • You make sure you have plenty of airflow and open fires, as black mould is caused by condensation, and don't try to make the house function as a carbon-saving modern house. There was an article about how not to deal with damp in old properties but I can't find it. You need to go back to lime plaster and allowing walls to breathe by using traditional types of paint and not insulating everything: see heritage-house.org/managing...

    As a temp measure, a dehumidifier and a cooker hood, if you don't already have one, might help. Clean off the mould with bleach and soapy water, and come the spring, open the windows and spring clean, and things will function properly again. All that water you release by breathing and sweating (as well as cooking and washing) has to go somewhere and it will migrate to the coldest surface and condense (like the school experiment with a boiling kettle and saucepan of cold water).

  • I am forced to dry washing indoors during the winter months, mold is already gathering in the corner of my bathroom, it is too awkward and high to climb up there as I am elderly but I do get a mop with bleach on it and slosh it over as best I can. Windows are open but have to close them later in the day otherwise it would be freezing. The whole situation drives me mad.

  • Try using borax instead of bleach - available on eBay. A dehumidifier also, if you can afford £75 or so (but keep the windows closed whilst it's running!).

  • Thanks I will try that

  • Hi I was diagnosed 2 years ago with thyroid issues and was very sick the house I was living in athe the time had mold in and coming out of the walls yes mold is a very dangerous thing so please everyone be cautious of the mold

  • I'm pretty certain the mold was the final nail in the coffin of my hashimotos so to speak. However. Mold pretty much non existent now I think but hashimotos still thriving!!!

    Chloe

  • Hi there ,

    Just a little bit of advise to go along with everything above. The insulation in the loft must not cover the vents (So many people do this and insulate right to the edge) The average househod produces 17 litres of moisture a day...this goes into the loft and if properly insulated it will escape.

    Regards

    Maud

  • I dont know what to make of this. In my 20s I lived in a badly ventilated mobile home. Mould everywhere. All my clothes went mouldy. I was fit as a butchers dog. Didnt get problems till I was in my mid forties, after living in my present home for around 15 years. Delayed reaction? Lol!

  • I don't think all mould cause illness. I guess you would have fallen ill fast if it were the mould. Tho it possible it is worsening your condition somehow.

    At least over here in finland where we have a lots of rotten buildings because they have built poorly they developed symptoms fast!

  • Mold affects people differently health wise due to genetic susceptibility. I have the "dreaded" 4-3-53 HLA-DR multi susceptible gene that makes me more susceptible to mold, Lyme, etc. My husband did not get as ill as I did. He had a horrible cough with blood tinged sputum and had fungal plaques on his skin. I nearly died. We only lived in the beautiful but deadly toxic townhouse 9 months. The girl who lived there for 2 years before me is still bedridden. Mold is no joke. There are some excellent groups on Facebook and resources on Dr Shoemaker's website Surviving Mold. survivingmold.com

    As someone noted you can have a delayed reaction. Mold begins a cascade of inflammation that may not be apparent right away. In my case I began to get ill immediately most likely due to genetic susceptibility and the incredible amount and variety of mold in the basement of the dwelling. All cases are different but environment I am convinced, plays a tremendous role in all the illness around us. Contaminated food, water, air, personal products, building materials all play a huge factor. The best thing anyone can do for their health is lower the toxic burden from the body.

  • Try Dettol mould and mildew killer.

    A spray available at most large Sainsbury supermarkets.

    Plus a dehumidifier. This works for me.

You may also like...