Itchy cough where my voice box/thyroid is. Driving me nuts!

Can anyone help please. I have under active thyroid on 50 mcg thyroxine. Being diagnosed 3 year and every winter get a itchy cough, which last for months and drives me mad. It has already started again this week. The itch is where my voice box/thyroid is, and it feels like the sputum I am expectorating is generated from here too, not my chest. Doctor feels I just will have to ride though it. Any ideas please. Thank you.

11 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Bowmanr,

What are your recent thyroid results and ranges? May as well check that you are optimally medicated on 50mcg.

I find hot water, honey and a slice of lemon very soothing on a ticklish cough and itchy throat. Taking an extra glass to bed to sip when you're woken during the night can 'oil' the throat so you can get back to sleep.

• Thank you, will check levels and try the drink thanks so much

• Sambucol. That's what works for me. You only need a couple of tiny sips. Just let it slide down your throat. :)

• Thank you. Had to google Sambucol, looks like good stuff. Thank you.

• You're welcome. :)

• Low B12 levels have been linked to unresolved coughing ..... Do you know what yours is ?

• Thank you, I am not sure what mine are but I have recently ordered some vit B supplements as my hair was falling out loads. I will make sure they include B12. Thank you.

• You really ought to get your B12 tested before taking any B vitamins. If your B12 is very low, you should get tested for Pernicious Aneamia.

• You will not get enough B12 in a B Complex. As greygoose suggests, it would be good to be tested first. Most of us have endured low levels when Hypo ...

• You should ask GP to test B12, Vit D, iron, ferritin and folate before you supplement. That's so that you will have a starting point before you supplement.

You have to supplement with the correct B12 and D if you don't have sufficient. These two are not vitamins they are pro-hormones and deficiencies can cause serious problems.

Always get a print-out of your blood results with the ranges and post if you have a query.

• Thank you. I will get that done. Thank you for your help.

You may also like...