Advice please

I have just found out I can have my goitre removed with surgery. I have been advised I will have a small amount of thyroid left but will be on replacement tablets long term. I have spent my whole life struggling with my weight and have finally in the last year got to a 'normal' weight range through dieting. I am terrified that if I have the op and start taking the replacement tablets I will gain weight. I think if this was the case I would not have the op but the goitre has increased in size in the last couple of years. I am in my early fifties. Any advice from anyone who has had this op would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1 Reply

oldestnewest
  • I am not an expert on this, but you want to be sure that it is the best option before having your thyroid removed.

People with hyperthyroid - overactive thyroid producing too much thyroid hormones can have all or part of their thyroid remove to reduce the amount of thyroid hormones being produced.

However, it sounds like your symptoms are hypothyroid, so your thyroid is not producing enough hormones.

If there is no concern about cancer, the goitre can sometimes be reduced by taking thyroid hormones - ideally T3. If a full replacement amount is taken, the body senses it, produces very little TSH and therefore the thyroid stops producing thyroid hormones and can shrink in size.

You may also like...