Log in
Thyroid UK
93,391 members107,446 posts

Trying to conceive


I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid 2 years ago.

My husband and I would like to start trying for a baby but I do not know whether I need to go to the doctor before we start trying or only if I get pregnant? I've read about increasing your thyroxine when you fall pregnant but is it the midwife that would arrange this or my doctor? My doctors ask you to make an appointment with the midwife if you are pregnant and not them but I do not know if this is different if you have a thyroid problem.

Any advice would be appreciated thank you :-)

6 Replies

Speak to GP and TSH blood test levels will be adjusted before and throughout pregnancy.


Definitely speak with the Gp now, you need a TSH of under 2.5 to get pregnant and then to stay pregnant, hense you need monitoring more regularly.


Read hypothyroidmom.com & buy her pregnancy book.

1 like

Hi there.

Yes, you will need monthly testing to maintain your levels for pregnancy . Your dose will be adjusted as required .


Thank you everyone


Make sure to ask for copies of your blood tests including the reference ranges. Doctors often tell lies about blood test results, and tell you something is normal when it isn't or tests haven't even been done at all.


You may also like...