Friends results. Different from NHS

I posted a week ago about my friend doubting the private finger prick tests reliability and how it concerned me.

She had an NHS test a few weeks ago just before 9am, her TSH was 3.6 (0.3-5.5). She did a private test Thursday with Medicheck and she has had her results today TSH 4.65 (02.-4.2) and FT4 16.04 (12-22).

The reason she doubted it was her TSH was 5.8 back in April with Medicheck, I told her things can improve and it doesn't always lead to full on hypothyroidism. She was very stressed earlier this year.

The thing is there is a whole point between the recent NHS and recent Medicheck results. I have told her that results differ depending on the range but my friend is sure that isn't the case, a result is a result. Is this right? I am interested to know ;-)

Julie

12 Replies

oldestnewest
  • TSH fluctuates, even through the day, let alone over weeks. It's a snapshot. Unless you draw the blood at the same time on the same day and send them to the different labs you're not doing a comparison that has any meaning.

I think a TSH result is a result. The ranges are based on a different approach to treatment levels.

• Thank you.

They are a few weeks apart and I said they can fluctuate. They are the same time of day both times but it can change slightly. It's only if like mine which rocketed from 7.5 to 9.28 in a few weeks it shows there may be a need for treatment. Her TSH is still above normal but GP won't acknowledge that.

• Has she tested for antibodies?

• journal.frontiersin.org/art... says TSH is pulsed all the time

This apart from the hourly variation: drive.google.com/open?id=0B...

• Thank you :-)

• If she took a TSH test every hour of the day it would be different each time. The TSH is highest early morning and varies throughout the day.

web.archive.org/web/2010103...

If her TSH rises it could be she needs an increase in her dose of hormones :)

• Jingyd35,

The ref range is determined by the analysis machine used and the average result of a local population sample.

labtestsonline.org.uk/under...

• Local population may of course mean merely national population.

• Aspmama,

It will be a sample of the local population tested at the lab.

• That can't be true of Blue Horizon and the other national private blood testers, they're not confined to a geographical area.

• Aspmama,

True, but it is the way most labs determine their ref range.

• Not long ago heard: Same person same hour daily some two weeks or so. TSH figure did have random variations

You may also like...