Melatonin

I hve had trouble staying asleep, waking sometimes at different times such as 1am, 5am etc. I then have trouble getting back to sleep right away and usually get myself a drink/snack and read for a bit. I usually then can get back to sleep an hr or so later. I do not have trouble getting to sleep when I go to bed usually about 10pm. I usually read fr 45 mins and go off to sleep about 10.45/11pm.

It has been suggested that I may benefit from slow release melatonin. Has anyone experience of this product and where I cd purchase it.

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I wouldn't recommend it as Melatonin for two reasons: Melatonin is used to fall asleep not to stay asleep - even time released. The second reason is that Melatonin has a rebound effect: you may sleep better for 5-8 nights and then Melatonin will wake you up after 2-3 hours. I would recommend L-Tryptophan if you wish to stay with natural products or Phenergan 10 or 25mg - sold as Sominex too but more expensive. It's over the counter and in all pharmacy in the UK.

• Many thanks for yr reply. Will have a look.

• Phenergan definitely works but not always easy to get from pharmacies now , but readily available on the net. just Google. It is one of the drowsy antihistamines and most sites will only sell one, but if you check page 2 (I think , Google) there is one site that sells 2. It is the P&P which bumps up the cost. Another product Sleep Aid (Kirkland) also works well -another anti-histamine -and much easier to source...hope you find something not sleeping is the pits

• Many thanks, will hve a look.

• I agree for Kirkland. Type Doxylamine Kirkland on Google. I'm French and both products are sold over the counter and you can buy as many boxes as you like.

• Doxylamine Kirkland is even available from Amazon: amazon.com/Kirkland-Signatu...

Try only half a tablet at first.

• Merci Nathalie.

• You can try Phenergan 10mg too. Try it when you can sleep a little late. My step-sister took 1tablet 25mg when her menopause was preventing her to sleep and she slept until 11pm.

• I am like that. Melatonin helps very little to keep me asleep, but I do use it if I am buzzy and wired and know it will be difficult to fall asleep.

Do you drink caffeine at all? I know that when I keep off it completely I sleep better.

You may also like...