Prescribed Hydrocortisol?

Update on my short Synacthen test ... should I be concerned that the Registrar at the QE phoned me today (the day after the test) to confirm that I had failed the test ... and prescribed Hydrocortisol

I have to collect the prescription from the pharmacy at the QE tomorrow morning. I don't have the actual results of the test yet so don't know how badly I failed! Anyone out there have experience of treatment with Hydrocortisol please??

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • i highly recommend you check out the following website and join the associated forum. You have addison's disease and should start HC ASAP!!

addisonssupport.blogspot.be/

addisonssupport.com/

groups.google.com/forum/?ut...

Treatment of Addison's is as bad as hypothyroidism, so i strongly suggest you check out the above links.

• Thank you very much!

• Hi Maria-B , I apologise for jumping in as I know your post is for help but do you mind if I just ask what you're symptoms were/are please and what led you to be tested. Thank you. Was it mainly the joint pain? ( just read your posts )

• Hi Pastille. Symptoms are extreme fatigue and aches in my bones, coupled with feeling down and irritable all the time. It was the joint pain that took me to the GP almost 2 years ago ... I have had all sort of tests for rheumatic stuff and scans of the joints ... what a waste of time that was! Have just started taking the Cortisol, not sure how long it will take to make a difference but have my fingers crossed!

• Thanks Maria-B , I hope you feel better soon

• I'm on Hydrocortisone as I have secondary adrenal insufficiency due to the removal of a pituitary tumour. I take 20 mgs a day split into 4 doses trying to mimic the Circadian cycle.

• Thanks PaulineS ... can you remember how long the Hydrocortisone took to kick in?

• Hydrocortisone should kick in within a few hours as it only lasts a few hours in the body hence why we need to take it often.

• In my case, I felt relief literally the same day. The pain & irritability went away very quickly (day or two). The crushing fatigue also lifted very quickly, though it did take a bit longer to fully get over the fatigue in general.

You may also like...