Whats the highest dosage of Levothyroxine you can be prescribed

Ive been on 100mcg of levothyroxine for almost 8 years now. Recently dr tested me for antibodies (see below). I have started to experience leg pain/tiredness, moody, etc. I know for a fact I will finally be diagnosed with Hashimotos! Whats the highest dose of levo you can take before you have to supplement it?

FT4 1.0 ng/dL (0.7 - 1.6 ng/dL)

TSH 3.870 uIU/mL (0.358 - 3.740 uIU/mL)

Anti-Thyroglobulin<20 IU/mL (<40 IU/mL)

Anti-TPO-Ab 335.0 IU/mL (<35 IU/mL)

6 Replies

• Shereebl, there's no limit to how much Levothyroxine can be prescribed.

100mcg is insufficient for you as TSH 3.87 is too high and FT4 is low in range. The goal of Levothyroxine is to restore the patient to euthyroid status and for most this will be when TSH is just above or below 1.0 with FT4 in the upper range. Read Treatment Options in thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_... Email louise.warvill@thyroiduk.org.uk for a copy of the Pulse article if you would like to show it to your GP when you request a dose increase.

TPO antibodies are positive for autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's). There is no treatment for Hashimoto's but adopting 100% gluten-free diet can help reduce Hashi flares, symptoms and antibodies. Low/suppressed TSH means less stimulation of the thyroid gland which is also helpful in managing Hashi's.

Ask your GP to test ferritin, vitamin D, B12 and folate which are commonly low/deficient in hypothyroid patients which can cause musculoskeletal pain,fatigue and low mood similar to hypothyroid symptoms.

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• I have been on 125 mg Thyroxine , now i take 100mg Mon-Fri and 125 mg Sat-Sun.

• One of my neighbours was on 300mcg daily and not 100% well. She moved away so no idea how she's doing now.

• The other day I posted about a specific genetic reason some people might require a higher than usual dose of levothyroxine. Not easy reading!

The highest I have read about was something like 3000 micrograms a day - the person showed no signs of being overdosed. You must realise that this is at the unbelievable level - but it is formally documented.

For you, an increase to, say 125 micrograms, or 100 micrograms one day and 125 micrograms the next would seem a sensible step.

• You've been prescribed a dose of levo which is far too low for you thus your TSH is too high.

Before the blood tests and levothyroxine were introduced we were given natural dessicated thyroid hormones and the dose was between 200mcg and 400mcg.

One doctor, now deceased unfortunately, fought with the Authorities saying that patients were put in parlous situations due to the authorities inability to discuss proper prescribing.

• I'm on 200 Levo I think u need your dose increased your tsh too high

You may also like...