Circadian symptoms re thyroid? (ie time of year, not time of day)

Just wondering if people's hypothyroid symptoms get worse at this time of year, only I have noticed over the years that I am always rock bottom in energy and not good healthwise in February. I know that even non hypo people are often low now too, but I took my temps over the day, and along with my BP/pulse, and found I was really struggling, with barely one temp during the day over 36.3

I should add that I have been T3 only for around 3 years (hypo for more like 20 yrs originally on T4 only), and have tried hard to do relevant research to support the adrenals (currently on a little Pregnenolone) and take useful supplements like Vit D3 etc. As I was T3 only I was able to add in another 5mcg T3 easily, and almost instantly the sore throat I had for several weeks disappeared.

7 Replies

• Have you tried seeing what 25 T4 added in does ?

It may well give you a boost. I find T4 much better to use, but need some T3 as well.

I have been on T3 only, NTH, T4 only, T4/T3, Mostly T3 with a little T4 etc.

Trial and error can really help you get fine tuned. sounds like you are doing all the right things as well with regards to vits etc. I also take a 3mg amount of progesterone and it works wonders for me (also male).

• Thanks Marsaday. I have tried adding in T4 again a few times, but I don't really feel it suits me when mixed with the T3.

I just wondered if other people have this issue with this time of year and the thyroid.

I am now feeling a bit better with the extra 5mcg, so hopefully it's enough for me now until the Spring.

• Some of us can be affected by the weather, i.e. less hormones in summer and more in winter.

Listen to your body and if you either reduce/increase your body will either like or dislike either.

Sometimes - even when on an optimum our temp doesn't return to what it used to be but we do feel warmer.

• Thanks Shaws. Yes, I wondered if it was a general thing that people feel who have thyroid issues. As you say, I have found that I do feel warmer in the summer especially, but if I measure my temperature it's not 37, except maybe in the middle of the day.

• My temp hasn't returned to 'normal' but its now 36.5 instead of 35.

• this is from Dr Lowe:-

But the patient whose basal temperature doesn’t increase with effective thyroid hormone therapy is presumably different at the genetic level. The genes that code for the temperature-regulating enzymes in the patient are less responsive to thyroid hormone. As a result, her basal temperature remains low, as yours is, despite her recovering from all other indications of hypothyroidism.

• Wow that was seriously low before Shaws. I don't think mine has got to those depths. I have noticed that on T3 mine goes through a kind of curve during the day - starts lowish and peaks at lunchtime and then gradually drops again. I did try doing the circadian dosing that Paul Robinson suggests, but for various reasons it didn't help me (not least waking myself up at 5 a.m. and then not being able to sleep again).

You may also like...