Help with results please

My mother's latest results:

! TSH + FT4 repeat test in 6 month

Serum free T4 level 17.6 pmol/L (9.00 - 24.00 pmol/L)

! Serum TSH level. 0.05 mu/L (0.35 - 5.00 mu/L)

She is 81 and frail. She has had a goitre for years and at one stage they were aspirating it every 6 months. They said about a year ago that there was nothing suspect and that they didn't need to see her any more. She has never been prescribed any meds. I didn't have a clue about thyroid issues until recently so didn't question it but now I really want to know what is going on with her!

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • FMartin, TSH is low but your mother's FT4 is mid-range so she isn't hyperthyroid and doesn't appear to be heading that way. She doesn't appear to have a thyroid issue.

VitD and B12 are often low/deficient in the elderly so you might consider having them tested.

_______________________________________________________________________________

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Thank you Clutter

• Low B12 is very common as people get older, our digestion fails to absorb it from our food. A lot of the symptoms are very similar to those caused by thyroid problems. I wish your Mum well, she is lucky to have you looking after her. Best wishes MariLiz

You may also like...