Hemithyroidectomy

I am posting this on behalf of my sister. She had a Hemithyroidectomy three weeks ago. She had two lumps, one was a cyst and one they described as Precancerous so needed removing. She had a booked appointment for September. However on Friday she was phoned by the consultants secretary who said that he wanted to see her on Tuesday instead of September. We are hoping it is because her September appointment is too far away and he wants to bring it forward to just assess her wound, blood tests etc. On the other hand could it be they have found something they want to see her about quite quickly as it does seem short notice. She is worried. Any advice may just help a little. Many thanks

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Taralara, suspicious nodules are often evaluated by a multi-disciplinary team and they may have decided the FNA warrants surgery being brought forward. On the other hand it may simply be a rescheduling of the surgeon's list and there is now availability for hemithyroidectomy during August.

    Pre-op assessment is usually done in the week prior to surgery.

  • She had a Hemithyroidectomy three weeks ago. Waiting for results. Her first post op appointment was September. But now brought forward to Tuesday

  • Taralara, sorry I missed she's had the hemi. The nodule will have been biopsied post hemi. Her doctors will want to discuss the results with her.

  • Her original appt was September so we are hoping they realised that September was too long away. And like you say it's just to tell her results and not an urgent appointment as my sister is thinking.. Thanks

  • Taralara, If your sister's appointment has been brought forward it's more likely the result isn't benign, I'm afraid. Probably not much point worrying your sister now, she'll know on Tuesday.

  • I just looked back & they took 9 weeks to tell me my removed nodule/half thyroid was benign - I remember being more than a bit anxious at the time...

    best wishes to you both J x

    PS make sure you get print outs of the blood tests for future reference, I was told half a thyroid would be enough for my needs - and I managed for 4 years. Your sister should be monitored every 3 months then 6 monthly.

  • If there is any consolation, if she has cancer, this is one of the easiest to treat, I was told. Don't panic. The most important aspect in anything to do with health is to try and be relaxed. I know that it's easier said than done but if you try not to be stressed, you'll help your sister more. When I was told I have breast cancer and my daughter started to cry, it didn't help me at all. She must have seen me with one foot in the grave. Good luck as nobody knows for sure why your sister had an earlier appointment.

  • I hate to be the one to say it, but to my mind it sounds like they found something they didn't like in the biopsy. My best advice to you would be to go on the British Thyroid Association Site, and read their guidelines for thyroid cancer. Forewarned is forearmed and these are the guidelines they work to here in the UK.

  • Thanks for your replies. My sister was diagnosed with Papillary and Follicular Thyroid Cancer. Didn't know you could have both types?? All very shocked. She is to have a CT scan on Thursday to make sure it hasn't spread. Then full thyroidectomy in a week or so.

  • Taralara, there are several different thyroid cancers, follicular is a little more aggressive than papillary. I had Hurthle cell which is an aggressive follicular type but it hadn't spread beyond the thyroid gland.

    I had completion thyroidectomy 3 months after hemilobectomy and the surgeon reopened the existing wound. The scar is tiny, within the hollow of my throat, healed quickly and is almost imperceptible.

    Your sister will be given thyroid replacement the morning after her completion surgery. If she is scheduled for Radioactive Iodine Ablatement she will probably be given Liothyronine (T3) initially as patients have to be off Levothyroxine 4 weeks prior to RAI and off T3 2 weeks prior. If she is not likely to have RAI she will be given Levothyroxine the morning after surgery. ThyCa patients may be over replaced initially to suppress TSH to reduce likelihood of recurrence and dose will be adjusted to achieve the minimal level of suppression required. One thing thyCa patients usually don't have to put up with is undermedication.

    I had problems when I was switched from T3 to Levothyroxine but am well now on T4+T3 combination and into my 3rd year of remission.

You may also like...