Got my results!

So, after three calls and a personal visit, I got a copy of my results. When I called about them on Thursday, I was told they are all "normal - no action."

If I'd believed that six years ago, I wouldn't be here now.

On this occasion, MCV has come back sufficiently below range for the lab to have added a four line note explaining what should be done now. Basically I need a ferritin test. I asked for one last week and was refused on the grounds that it was "all right last year". It would appear that it may not be all right now.

I despair of the NHS, I really do. It makes me sad that I have to fight them every step of the way.

Next week I will need to book a telephone call with a(nother) doctor, probably go up and collect a blood form, take time off work again to get the test done and then have the same hassle getting the results.

12 Replies

• Wow. I wish I could say I was surprised but, well, you know...

When you get your ferritin tested, see if you can get B12 done as well, as low MCV is often a sign of B12 deficiency.

• B12 came back as 773 (191-663) so that's OK, but there s a long history of serious ferritin deficiency and judging by the lab comments, it is possible it's happening again.

• Sorry could you please tell me what MCV is. I'm sure it will be obvious but can't think. Many Thanks.

• Mean Corpuscle Volume.

• Information about most blood tests available in the UK is readily available here:

High MCV possibly indicates B12 deficiency. Low MCV possibly indicates iron-deficiency. Unusual red blood cell shapes affect the interpretation, e.g. sickle-cell anaemia.

• I did not find it useful. I wonder if I click on the wrong item. Too general.

• Fornels there is a search function on the site to find specific tests but I find the CBC page helpful for white and red blood cell info

• I will check it once more. I need to understand my numbers better. Thanks

• Thank you Helvella.

• So you got the actual results them on here so we can help

• I'm OK with them all,thanks. It's the principle of the thing. If we can't trust our doctors to interpret our results properly ...

• After pushing for Vit tests for over a year, and being refused, and then actually getting the GP to agree, and the lab saying No, I finally was tested for Vit D. GP said he was happy with the results. I was delayed in getting the printed results but 6 weeks later I picked them up to see my Vit D was 8 (range started at 30). I rang the practice and pointed this out, but had to wait 2 weeks to actually get a prescription. I asked the practice manager for an explaination and was told "oh these things happen!".

If I had not checked the results, I would never have known, so please, always, always get a print out of your results.

You may also like...