After going backwards and forwards to my GP due to my thyroid going from underactive to overactive and generally going haywire since having my baby 15 mnths ago, she has finally agreed to refer me to a Biochemist.

The reason bring my liver function test was slightly elevated and has been for the last 6 yrs, despite a liver scan 4 years ago. She says that they can look at my thryoid problems too. Has anyone ever heard of a referral to a biochemist? Thought it was an endocrinologist?

7 Replies

  • TiredChick, Biochemists analyse bloods and urine samples in labs to aid diagnosis. I don't believe they have interaction with patients. Hepatologists are liver, gallbladder specialists and endocrinologists are thyroid specialists (or supposed to be).

  • I think you may have an Autoimmune Thyroid Disease, otherwise known as Hashimotos. Mind you, your doctor may be right in a Biochemist being better than an Endocrinologist as many doctors/endos don't appear to be knowledgeable about how to get us well.

  • Why do you think this please? I'm so confused at the moment and am feeling worse and worse

  • Sorry just seen you've put links up :-)

  • Tiredchick

    It is very difficult when you have a new baby but Mum doesn't really understand why she is unwell. This is a link which may be helpful too and go to the date September 11, 2004 to read the answer and the one after:

  • No but sounds interesting! I am hypothyroid with abnormal liver function results especially my Gamma GT which is that of a hardened alcoholic despite drinking little and not having a fatty liver so please let us know how it goes.

  • I agree with Shaws.

You may also like...