Anyone recommend a reputable source for buying Kefir grains?

Hi there,

I would really like to start making Kefir but I feel confused about how to get started or where to buy the grains. I have read that some commercial start up kits do not work. Do I buy dried or the live 'cauliflower' type?

Does anyone know of a good site to purchase from please?

Also, would I be able to use coconut milk instead of normal milk?

Thanks in advance

Carolineanne x

12 Replies

• Hi Carolineanne

Happy Kombucha Is where I get mine from . I've only just started too but I got the live grains they send you in a little packet and you need to use them as soon as poss so they don't loose their potency.

I found so much info on their website and there's a little video to show you how!

I've started drinking the keffir hoping to heal a leaky gut and digestion issues .

I've also made lemonade with the water grains that my daughter loves.

Good luck !

Amanda x

• Hi Amanda

Thank you for your reply. I will have a look at the website. I want to improve my digestive issues as well.

Thanks again

Carolineanne x

• Hallo there - I purchased organic kefir grains from and I also have a book "Cultured Food for Life" which tells you all about producing kefir as well as other other cultured food. Happy eating.

• Thanks Emoli

I will have a look at that book :)

• You want the live ones that look like cauliflower. I got my last lot on ebay. I believe there's facebook group for sharing grains, too. My original ones (don't ask) came from a lovely lady called Maria in Colchester. See here:

• Thanks for the link. I think I would prefer the live ones. :)

• They usually come frozen, but revive quite fast. You can also dehydrate some as a backup.

• That is good to know- thanks :)

• I also got mine (cauliflower type) on ebay and I make mine with Koko coconut milk. In between making the kefir you need to rest the grains in dairy milk (!) which is a bit of a bother. I buy organic full cream milk and freeze it in ice cube trays.

• Thank you Topaz1

• Dr Myhill sells it on her website.

• Thank you :)

You may also like...