Back on a Levothyroxine, not well amd feeling a bit of a failure. Difficulty raising dose?

To cut a long story short, since the ERFA debacle I have struggled with every desiccated thyroid I have tried and so am now back on to levothyroxine.

My doctor started me on 25mcgs of wockhardt ( I was very hypo) for 3 weeks. I was absolutely fine on this apart from the odd bit of nausea and feeling very hypo but no adverse reactions.

Then I tried to raise to 50 mcg's and after only 3 days was hit with most earth shattering depression. It was terrifying. I seriously felt suicidal. I called my GP and immediately dropped back to 25 mcg's and things improved slightly. Much less depression.

I am woefully undermedicated but frightened to raise incase it happens again.

I recall this depression happening years ago when I was given Teva levothyroxine. I was fine on mercury pharma.

Can anyone please take a guess as to why this is happening?

I'm wondering if my body wants to wait for the first 25mcgs to convert before sticking anymore in there?

Sorry to be a pain. Incidentally today I went and got some mercury pharma levothyroxine and am going to try and raise with that.

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Joesmum, try 25/50mcg on alternate days for a week or so. If you tolerate it increase to 50mcg daily. I don't know why this happens but some members do have difficulty increasing dose by 25mcg increments but will tolerate 12.5mcg increments.

• Thank you Clutter. That's very helpful and I will give it a go.

• Just a thought, have you tried T3 ? T3 is given to some people for depression. My thinking is your hormones might be being unbalanced by too much T4 ? or your not converting the T4 to T3 ?

• Yes I know where you're coming from. T3 is going to be my last port of call. It could be that I'm not converting it fast enough. I think I am a slow converter.

I will try the mercury pharma tomorrow though. See how that effects me. It worked in the past and didn't give me depression but that was years ago?? Strange.....

• Have you had a saliva stress test? My cortisol is on the floor and it interupts take up of thyroxine and makes me feel really really ill. I have been using T3 only using Paul Robinsons method for 10 weeks, but still my cortisol levels are stopping me getting enough T3 because everytime the dose goes past a certain level my blood pressure goes through the roof. I would reccommend getting a stress test done the details are on THyroid UK's webpage. It's a big big pain!

You may also like...