I have low ferritn, iron and folate acid readings - I have been prescirbed "Ferrous Fumarate

322mg tabs" * The make is Fersaday.. I have major problem taking these - I get terrible constipation. I really need to take an alternative medicine but not sure which? I have checked on some websites and I havent found one that has the same elemental iron (what ever that means?). * I suffer from under-active thyroid and I need to get these levels higher.

Can anybody help? Ollybear

Last edited by

5 Replies

• I don't know about other Iron preparations but I have also always had constiapation and find laxido very helpful which I take every day with the iron and vit C. A more natural constipation remedy is linuset gold or golden linseed. A couple of tablespoons soaked in water over night and mixed with cereal or drank in the morning will help most people.

• If you take each iron pill with 1000mg of vitamin C it does two things :

1) Vitamin C increases absorption of the iron.

2) Vitamin C loosens stools in high doses, so it helps to combat the constipation.

• Terra Nova's 'Easy Iron Complex' is natural, non-constipating, better absorbed than the iron you get on the Nhs, and without all those crappy fillers and binders that are in so many prescriptions and supplements. I take it with Vit B complex and 1000 mg Vit C.

• Some people find that heme iron is a good approach. For example:

• I have low ferritin level only 6 I take pherers sulfate and a fiber gel to combat the constipation.

You may also like...