Painful throat glands anyone?

Since Christmas I keep getting a painful throat on the left side (it's not a sore throat that you get with a cold), but it can hurt to swallow. It usually lasts 3-5 days and then subsides. I've got it again now. Not been to the doc yet as it's not too bad at the moment, but keeps happening. I guess it's some sort of gland pain - anyone else get this? Not on any prescribed medication for thyroid but have a few symptoms.

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Artemis, it might be that your thyroid is inflamed. Arrange a non-urgent GP appointment so the GP can feel your glands. If it is thyroid dysfunction is suspected a blood draw will be done to test thyroid functiion.

Make sure to request a printout of blood tests with laboratory ref ranges as it's good to know specifically what your results are rather than the blanket normal GPs call anything in the range.

• I get this all the time, especially if I'm stressed, it last for several days, goes for a couple of days then back again. It's been happening for a year or so now and it drives me insane lol I also seem to get a slight temperature with it and it's worse during the evening and first thing in the morning

• As well as TSH I would be asking for antibody tests!

• Thanx for replies. Funnily enough it's on the same side as my thyroid (Idon't have any thryoid on right side due to thyroidectomy). My last NHS test was TSH 2.85. I did a private one through Myrios in March this year when it was 5.04 (high). I'm trying to avoid the doctor at the moment as she always says everything's normal.

I suppose I am quite stressed at the moment, but my temperature isn't high, so don't think it's an infection.

When it's really bad, it does make swallowing painfil.

You may also like...