T3 high on 3x20mcg after Total Thyroidectomy (follicular cancer)

I had a total thyroidectomy 18 months ago, I have had a radioactive iodine treatment just over 12 months ago, last January the oncoligist noticed my T3 was high, I take 20mcg 3 times daily, that is all I take, no T4(levothyoxine) my surgeon has allowed me to stay on T3 because I have felt better on it, (I always felt dreadful on T4, dont think I could convert it efficiently). So at my last appointment (April 30th) I was told to reduce down to 2 x 20mcg, T3. I have felt a bit shakey on the 3 doses, but went down to 2 and felt exhausted. Surgeon says I have to keep TSH minimised to prevent cancer cells regrowing. Can anyone suggest help please? sally

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Sorry to hear about your TT. Would it be possible to half one of the tablets and try two and half if neither three nor two work for you?

• Thank you Hypnoteq - I will try that the pills are very small but worth a try. will let you know if it works thanks again for your quick suggestion. x

• Did you take your T3 before your blood test? This can give high readings and cause doctors to panic.

Next time you go for a blood test leave a long gap after taking your T3 and you will get a lower reading!!!

• Thank you Sandy yes that may be the case normally take morning tablet at about 07:30 blood test was about 10:30 so maybe next time I wont take a tablet before going to hospital. I have also read some info on here about chewing the tablet to get better absorption so hoping that may help a bit. will post after next results. thanks again for helping.xx

You may also like...