Is this a new symptom??

I'm still having a problem getting to sleep at night,when I do drop off I usually wake ten minutes later. Last night however,when I woke after the usual ten minutes,even though my eyes were closed everything was bright. As if someone was shining a torch in my eyes. I lay there thinking perhaps a car had gone by,but my eyes were still closed,the light was still there and there was no noise of a car. So I opened my eyes,turned over and waited for sleep again. :(

10 Replies

• Hi B, I can't say Ive had this symptom, although I did have flashes of bright lights, with my eyes shut, like fireworks going off.

• Similar then.xx

• Sleep problems are classic hypo and hyper symptoms for me. Not sure what your symptoms would indicate, but for me hypo - no problem falling asleep but early waking and being unable to get back to sleep, hyper - difficulty getting to sleep.

• Well that's me then not one thing or the other. :( :)

• It can be very individual. If anything I would hazard a guess your levels are too high, but I don't know anything about your history or test results, so that could be very wrong. Give it more time, and usually the situation becomes clearer.

• Thank you.x

• I have a similar experience from time to time, just as if a torch is bring shone in my closed eyes, as you describe.

• I'm not alone,thank you.x

• If you often have difficulty sleeping,melatonin is well worth a try. Because my pituitary was chopped (purposely,to remove a tumour)when I was a teenager,I don't produce enough melatonin of my own and spent years suffering sleep-deprivation. My endo gave me a scrip for melatonin but to cut a very long story short,my GP isn't allowed,under our PCT,to repeat prescribe it. I buy it online,and have found that although,on the face of it,it's cheaper in the USA,by the time you factor in P&P and import costs,it's cheaper to buy from a UK supplier e.g on eBay.

The rest of my family take it very occasionally when they're having problems sleep-wise;it's very good,especially because it doesn't give you the next a morning a hangover that traditional sleeping tablets do. Give it a whirl - I've just had a quick look on eBay and there's a UK supplier offering 180 capsules for £23 ish. Incidentally, the NHS pays £1 a tablet,so someone's making a big profit somewhere.

PS I take 10mg as my dose - you do have to suck and see to find your own...

• Thank you Mumcat2,Yes I shall look that one up now.x

You may also like...