Top 5 tips for successful fat loss (remember weight and fat are NOT the same thing).
1. You're not going to like this first one, but you are going to have to quit being veggie. I'm imagining you get most of your protein from soy, yes…? Soy contains an antinutrient which actively PREVENTS the thyroid from functioning properly (and, depending how long you've been veggie, may even have CAUSED your Hashimoto's in the first place as it mimics thyroxine, making the thyroid THINK it's produced enough, so it ramps down production. Http://www.chriskresser.com. He's an expert on sorting out thyroid issues holistically. I STRONGLY urge you to read an excellent article called 'Why You Should Think Twice About A Vegetarian Or Vegan Diet'. Humans aren't designed to obtain nutrition from plants so, if you're avoiding animal products because you believe the NHS BS that they'll kill you, that's simply UNTRUE. Meat, offal, high-fat dairy, eggs and saturated animal fats are the most nutrient-dense foods on Earth. The diet the NHS calls healthy is woefully nutrient-poor. I also would like you to sign up for his newsletters and read his free eBook on thyroid health. In it he explains WHY a non-meat diet plays hell with your thyroid. You should also read his book 'Your Personal Paleo Plan', which aids in beating disease through a healthy low-carb/high-fat diet tailored to YOUR symptoms. Includes: - CVD, thyroid disorders, obesity, diabetes, dementia, Alzheimer's, all forms of IBD - even cancer (he's not saying diet CURES cancer, but he IS saying eating the right diet will slash your risk of developing cancers dramatically. Remember, Hippocrates said "Disease begins in the gut", if you don't eat right, you get sick, and I've a hunch that you being veggie MAY have caused your Hashimoto's).
2. STOP EXERCISING! Or at least stop thinking that a 1hr spin or aerobics class 3 times a week is gonna get ya into a size 8, cos it WON'T! Want to know how much impact exercise has on fat loss…? Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Nowt. Nil. Diddly-squat. It's ALL DIET. Get your diet right and you'll lose weight. It's called 'eating to your genetic blueprint' or, to put it another way 'eat to your genes to fit your jeans' (borrowed that from Mark Sisson, author of 'The Primal Blueprint'. You should read his blog: - marksdailyapple.com - he explains all about chronic cardio there.
There's another reason eating a LFHC diet is a Bad Thing. You'll get gallstones (if you've not got them already). This is why I'm Permanently Pissed at the NHS. It'll tell you that eating TOO MUCH fat causes gallstones. This is BS. The function of the gallbladder is to produce bile to correctly process, digest and metabolise fats. So if that's its job, then how can doing its job cause it to malfunction…? Do you drive? What happens to the petrol in your car's tank if you don't drive it for a while…? Goes sludgy, right…? Bile is your body's petrol, and the gallbladder your tank (at least it OUGHT to be but, as the NHS seems to be run by a Mr. Mackey collective ("Saturated fat is BAD, m'kay…?") everyone believes the body should run on sugar (glucose). No WONDER the nation's obese! Keep the bile moving and it can't solidify, can it…?
3. Calories in/calories out is BS. If it WASN'T, then WHY is the UK the fattest its ever been since the inception of the NHS…? And that's despite eating <10% of its calories from sat fat. It's not HOW MUCH you eat that matters, it's WHAT you eat and, if the majority of your calories are coming from carbs (which, as you're a veggie, yours are) you'll a) get fat and b) find it nigh-on-impossible to LOSE fat. If you're attempting to lose weight then, roughly, the ratio should be 75% fats (primarily saturated animal fats), 15% ANIMAL protein, <5% carbs (and, if you MUST eat carbs, then no grains, nor starches and very little fruit (it's PURE SUGAR!)). I know that, as a veggie, you'll balk at that, but it's the truth - HUMANS ARE ONNIVORES; WE ARE DESIGNED TO ASSIMILATE MOST NUTRIENTS FROM ANIMAL FOODS. Want to know the 3 most nutrient-dense foods on Earth…? Eggs, Liver and Lard. See WHY I've a prob with the NHS…?!
4. Http://www.dietdoctor.com/FAQ. Http://www.dietdoctor.com/LCHF. Read his success stories. Read the FAQ in its entirety. LEARN WHY a LFHC diet doesn't work. Follow his approach. You'll feel like shite for a while, but that's just your body detoxing from its carb addiction. I lost 23 stone 10 years ago (and that was after the NHS LFHC diet caused me to GAIN 6!). I'm now 7 stone and a 4/6. This me is now 'locked in' because LCHF Palaeo is NOT a diet, it's a Permanent Lifestyle Change.
5. Read Mark Sisson's blog entries on chronic cardio, intermittent fasting, fasted moderate cardio and his Primal Fitness eBook. Primal Fitness works, not for weight loss, because NO exercise can do that (all those mags boasting 'fat-busting boosters'…? BS). Look at Mark. How OLD do you think he is…? Then look at a recent pic of Dr. (oh wait I don't think he's allowed to call himself that anymore) John McDougall (there's a recent pic on his website). Guess his age too. Who do you reckon to be the older…?
You really ARE what you eat, and the NHS appears to want everyone to be fat and sick.
If you don't want to quit being veggie, then there's not much I can do to help, because that's the crux of the whole thing: - your reliance on soy as a protein source (and don't tell me it's got more protein than steak, that's all well and good but we can only assimilate about 10% of that) is hampering your efforts (what's your T4 dose by the way…? I'm expecting it to be pretty high. Do you supplement with iodine and selenium, if required…?)). You really WILL have to stop being veggie, that's all there is to it.
Chris Kresser has more info on soy and Hashimoto's on his website. Please read it.
Andreas Eenfeldt (The Diet Doctor) has PLENTY of suggestions for successful weight/fat loss. Read his success stories. There's also an interesting experiment one guy did attempting to overeat on a LCHF diet. He gained just 2kg in 6 months (I think - I don't have the article in front of me. I'm sending this from my iPod so I can't go look either). That was eating roughly 6,000kcal a day of high-fat - but low-carb - foods.
Contrast this to Morgan Spurlock's experiment in 'Supersize Me'. He gained 24kg, but that's because he was eating HFHC. EATIN FAT DOESN'T MAKE YOU FAT; LFHC and HCHF MAKE YOU FAT.
Hope this helps. Good Luck. If you do it MY way, you'll lose it fast. Promise. LCHF GUARANTEES PERMANENT fat/weight-loss*. How many other diets can boast that…? Ever tried to adhere to a LFHC calorie-restricted diet before…? Impossible, right…? It's a fad diet because it's against how your body works. X❤X