The thyrogastric syndrome: its effects on micronutriments and gastric tumorigenesis

The thyrogastric syndrome: its effects on micronutriments and gastric tumorigenesis

Just read it... And note use of the word frequent . Not, as it all too often is suggested by medics, extremely rare! Or not a known issue. I know much of this paper could be considered preaching to the choir here on HU/TUK.

Rev Med Liege. 2013 Nov;68(11):579-84.

[The thyrogastric syndrome: its effects on micronutriments and gastric tumorigenesis].

[Article in French]

Valdes Socin H, Lutteri L, Cavalier E, Polus M, Geenen V, Louis E, Beckers A.

Author information


The thyrogastric autoimmune syndrome (TAS) was described in patients in whom the serum cross-reacted both with gastric parietal cells antigens and thyroid antigens. We report two cases illustrating the spectrum of pathogical features of TAS. The first case associates Hashimoto's thyroiditis and anemia perniciosa,and develops a gastric neuroendocrine tumor during follow up. The second case presents with a Graves' disease and an autoimmune reversible gastritis, secondary to Helicobacter pylori. Whereas type III autoimmune polyendocrinopathy is rare, TAS is frequent in our experience. Some 13% (32/240) of patients that we have prospectively followed affected with thyroiditis have also autoimmune gastritis. Helicobacter pylori is clearly implicated in 16% of autoimmune gastritis cases. Infection, malabsorption and gastritis are potentially reversible after bacterial eradication treatment. In the other 84% of gastritis patients, no histological or serological proof of Helicobacter pylori is found. Gastric autoimmunity is then irreversible, leading to gastric severe atrophy, hypochlorhydria and hypergastrinemia. Hypergastrinemia stimulates enterochromaffin cell hyperplasia, possibly progressing to neuroendocrine tumors. We propose a diagnostic approach to improve the characterization of TAS. We review the literature on the subject and discuss some interesting animal models of infectious gastric autoimmunity.

PMID: 24396972 [PubMed - in process]


Last edited by

9 Replies

  • Hindi Rod thanks for posting, but could you put this more simply as I can't understand it due to all the technical vocab?

    Thanks, Mary

  • About 13% people with autoimmune thyroiditis (including Hashimoto's) have autoimmune gastritis.

    A small number of these have the bacteria Helicobacter pylori in their stomachs which a) can cause problems; b) can be treated usually quite readily.

    But most of those with autoimmune gastritis will be likely not to produce enough stomach acid, to produce too much gastrin (another hormone), and generally have a poorly functioning stomach and gut. Possibly these issues could lead to specific tumours.

    Does that help? :-)


  • Thanks, that's much easier to understand.

  • I agree, much easier to understand, why couldn't they just say that in the first place.

    hmmm I've got a few articles I wouldn't mind having translated. You could develop another source of income. :) PR

    PS Where did you get that nice picture and is there a legend that explains it?

  • I thought it was from 'The incredible machine', suppose it is really.....

  • I can't remember where I found it! I meant to record where I found it - but managed not to. Basically a paper about association of autoimmune disorders.



    It is in the paper referred from here:

    Unfortunately it is not accessible to me - or you, I assume? Though the image itself is available here:


  • Rod, thanks, this is the legend.

    Figure 1. Pedigree of family with stiff-person syndrome, GAD65 antibodies, and multiple thyrogastric autoimmune disorders. Circles represent female subjects; squares represent male subjects. Diagonal slash symbols represent deceased individuals. Black arrow indicates father. Asterisks indicate individuals who were assessed clinically and had serologic testing and MHC II haplotyping. The exception is III-13, who was not haplotyped. Detected autoantibodies are indicated near each subject. Negative autoantibody results are omitted. Values are expressed as titer (reciprocal of endpoint dilution) or nmol/L. Abbreviations for autoantibodies: ANA = antinuclear; GAD = glutamic acid decarboxylase 65; SMA = smooth muscle; Tg = thyroglobulin; TPO = thyroperoxidase (microsomal). Generation IV (not shown) includes the asymptomatic infant who acquired GAD65 antibodies transplacentally.


  • So is this paper saying that about 2% of Graves and Hashi's cases could be cured by a course of antibiotics?

  • No - most definitely not.

    It is saying that in about 2% of cases, the ensuing gastritis might, indeed should, resolve with a suitable course of antibiotics. The Graves and/or Hashimoto's will not be cured in any sense by the antibiotics.


You may also like...