IBS Network

What can you do to ‘bulk’ up poop?

What can you do to ‘bulk’ up poop?

I’m at a loss as to what to do.

I have lots of grumbly, popping and rumble noises in my bowel area and tummy on and off throughout the day and it’s worse in the evening as I am very gassy.

I go once a day in the morning but it’s not nice or satisfying. Usually a no 5 on the Bristol stool chart, small, soft, raggy pieces.

I’ve tried added gentle fibre like oats and bulkier foods like rice but it doesn’t make any difference.

My gp gave me Fybogel but I don’t want to take it as it has aspartame in it and that really doesn’t agree with me.

Does anyone have any other suggestions how I can achieve my goal of getting a normal poop ( in my mind that’s a sausage!!)

14 Replies
oldestnewest

Hey I can defo relate to your symptoms. Does it feel like you’re cooking popcorn in you stomach sometimes? So weird isn’t it

That's exactly how it feels especially when I lay in bed, popcorn going off here and there!

You could try adding a little ground linseed/flaxseed to your oats? That sometimes helps me (but not too much!!!).

I have got a pack of ground flax seeds but always a bit apprehensive about taking it. Perhaps start with a sprinkling and work up?

I never tend to have more than a dessert spoon full - but I'd definitely start with a sprinkle and work up from there 😊

It may be a case of cutting something out rather than adding. Perhaps cutting down on fruit? It contains a lot of sugar, is easily fermented and maybe contains fodmaps.

I feel I've cut most things out, I've never eaten much fruit but perhaps I should tweak it a bit more?! It's a constant case of trial and error 🤔

Hey rustydog

I have ibs c so i get ur problem , mine was more once every 3 days and it was a unsatisfying number one , like i was firing rabbit poops lol!

So i started taking magnesium vitamins , 2 times a day and i now go everyday and i a perfect poop!!

It amazing how satisfying a good dump is lol...

Also i take a peppermint oil cap 2 times a day for the grumbles it just air and wind in stomach. It stops it straight away. Also a good probiotic

Am thinking of taking a probiotic just not sure which one, it’s a minefield out there! Totally get you on the satisfaction of a good dump, it’s my goal in life 😃

I get all mine in holland and barrett. A healthy gut is my goal in life ha.

Bioglan gut flora( probiotic)

Peppermint oil cap

Magnesium tablets

All from the above shop i think they got buy one get one for penny as well at mo.

Been healthy pooping ever since i take these they are my best buy

Haha! A trip to H&B it is then

I take bioglan to xx

1 like

I spend all my life in holland and barratt ha ha

1 like

An alternative to Fybogel is Psyllium husk which you can get from a health food shop - I think H&B sell it as Lepicol. Start with a level teaspoon in a glass of water to see what effect it has.

1 like

You may also like...