Diagnosed with Raynaud's but no blood test

I visited the nurse at local GP surgery for an annual health check and was recalled for a second blood test.  They said they were testing for a B12 deficiency and whilst waiting for the results I googled it (I know I know, don't diagnose yourself).  Anyway, the results came back clear but i had so many of the symptoms that I made an appointment to see the doctor.  Doctor not impressed when I said I had been on the internet and refused to listen to anything I had to say.  In desperation I showed her photographs of my fingers when they turn white and she declared I had Raynauds, gave me a prescription and all but pushed me out of the door.  I have not taken the medication as yet and it is now 3 - 4 weeks later.

My question is this?  Should they not have done a blood test to confirm Raynauds and also whether I have any secondary symptoms?  I don't know whether to go back and insist on blood test or just forget all about it and live with my painful fingers.

Thank you to anyone who can give me the benefit of their experience.

10 Replies

  • Hi Exactly the same has happened to me.  I already have RA and my mum has Raynaud's and I too have had the symptoms so I mentioned it to the doctor when I had an appointment for something else and straight away offered me medication without even doing any tests!  I was a bit taken aback how freely she offered the drugs so said "no" I would leave it for now, She did however say it was sometimes difficult to test for. 

  • Ask for a rheumatology appointment (possibly see a different GP to ask!) 

  • You don't need a blood test that's why 

  • There is no test for micro vascular spasms in the skin, sorry you lot still call it Raynaud's phenominon! 

    you seem to be reading yesterdays sites or sally smiths raynauds site, use more reputable sites.

  • Ask to be referred to a rheumatologist.

  • Thank you to everyone who has replied. To kel55 I was looking at the NHS site which I would assume to be a reputable site. That site calls it Raynauds phenomenon and also states that the GP can determine whether primary or secondary Raynauds by blood tests.

  • Hi, blood tests can show a positive ANA (antinucleaic antibodies of which there are many different sorts associated with different diseases - they're the molecules specifically tailored by your immune system to fight specific disease) but sadly a negative doesn't mean you don't have an autoimmune disease, I've had both positive and negative bloods and I do have scleroderma. My doc was quick to make clear the negative didn't mean I was clear! In summary: negative means nothing; positive means disease. Also, GPs don't usually request those bloods it's usually a rheumatologist (in my experience GPs only do blood count and similar but perhaps that's just my experience) 

    The test you're looking for is a nailfold capillaoscopy. The spelling might be iffy there my autocorrect keeps interfering! This is a test a rheumatologist can send you for where they use microscopes to look very close at your nail beds and from the state of your capillaries in your hands determine if you have primary or secondary raynauds. It's painless and quite fun as you get to sit and watch :) 

  • Yes I already have RA and been told I'm also ANA positive but like you say it can be associated with lots of different diseases so its relly difficult to diagnose

  • Raynauds is fairly common.  There are a lot of people with primary Raynauds who have never been tested, never had treatment.  They just anticipate when and how attacks can occur and dress accordingly and do anything and everything they can to prevent an episode or at least minimise it's impact.

    Unless the Raynauds is causing significant problems in your life or is linked to other symptoms that mean it may be secondary Raynauds, the doctor may not be interested.  Mild to moderate Raynauds they take to be a self-management condition.

    For those of us who have lived with it for many years, it just may be a day to day, put up with it, live with it condition.  For those who fairly suddenly get it as adults, it may be a worry and concern.  Doctors are unlikely to suggest secondary symptoms - they will be reluctant to put words in your mouth.  If you have secondary symptoms or any other issues, you need to mention them to your doctor and then they may get you a referral which may lead to a test like a nail-bed test like The Bear mentioned.

  • Thanks to the bear and bad piglet for your replies and advice. Still considering my options but I vaguely remember being tested for "hard skin" some years ago and then I heard nothing further so presumably the tests were clear. Who knows?

You may also like...