Women Still Not Talking to Their Doct... - The Simon Foundat...

The Simon Foundation for Continence

369 members239 posts

Women Still Not Talking to Their Doctors About Incontinence


A new survey was done in the USA and the results released two days ago, and once again we see that more than half of the women who report that they have incontinence have not once talked to their doctors about it!!!

The survey was not sure if it was embarrassment or if it continues to be that women just assume that this a natural part of aging, and so just think "I will wear a pad and be done with it." And then they also do things like limit fluid intake and stop exercising. Neither of which is a healthy change in habits!

PLEASE, if you have any kind of urine leakage, tell your physician. If your physician brushes it off, then see one who cares enough to try to get to the bottom of the causes and find a therapy or treatment or better management of the type of incontinence you have. See a urogynecologist or a urologist or if you are older, a geriatrician. These people will take it seriously and try to find cause(s) and answers. Sometimes it may take several doctors, tests, and some trial and error to find out what's really at the heart of the incontinence, and if it can be cured, symptoms lessened, or just managed better. But it's not a normal part of aging and should never be ignored by yourself OR your physician.

If you'd like to see the article on the survey and what else was learned about women with incontinence, use this link: labblog.uofmhealth.org/roun...

3 Replies

I told my doctor and she told me I was too old which really hurt my feelings

incon1982Administrator in reply to Warrior267

I would definitely get a second opinion! Women in their 80s and 90s may be able to work with a physical therapist, and while not perhaps getting a complete cure, may be able to help you lessen your symptoms.

The medications on the market for OAB definitely have age restrictions, but not usually physical therapy and other management therapies.

And that was a thoughtless comment to you!!

I would seek out a specialist who has an interest in treating incontinence. This may be a urogynecologist, a Nurse Practitioner or physical therapist who has special training in pelvic floor dysfunction, or a urology nurse (a SUNA nurse in the US) or a nurse with special training and certification in continence care.


I think the truth is part of the issue lies within being female to a degree, gender norms. Women admitting they have bodily functions seems to be taboo *which, why is it? we are human as well!* I know on my end the reason I waited was because I didn't feel like they would care, and they truly did not. I have undergone multiple tests *urodynamic, cysto, etc*, and have been told everything looks fine despite having bladder surgery. The long and short of it is I found sometimes we can't get the why things happen, and its easier to deal with whats going on. I always tell people to discuss with their doctor about their issues, but from a medical standpoint some doctors may see patients with more severe issues and disregard things they seem as lesser.

You may also like...