Do I have an issue?

I am not really sure where to bring this up but, due to my depression I got addicted to sex (Or at least that is what I am presuming triggered it). Sounds harmless but it seriously is not, it is the momentary high after sex that I got addicted to, the moment when the entire world seems absolutely fantastic and everything in it will be OK. Now this has caused the destruction of just about every relationship I have ever had, either because they thought it was too much, I would get bored or frustrated and then start looking for the next person I could have sex with or because I would just plainly scare them. But several old girlfriends have suggested going to see someone professional about it… It got to the point where I had sex around 18 times in about four hours before I realized that there may have actually been something wrong, I am kind of scared about going to see an actual psychologist or anything (Mainly as I have no idea how to) because I don’t want them to just say it is nothing, and also as that will be admitting to my family that I have a problem… I just don’t know what to do…

6 Replies

  • Hi, so sorry to hear you are struggling. The fact that this is causing you grief means that it is a very real problem for you and your relationships. Problems like this can be due to depression, or also can be due to life experiences. Sometimes it is not at all obvious what caused it or what you can do about it. As it is causing you so much upset, I strongly suggest you see a counsellor or therapist. to talk through your issues. You say that you are worried about your family finding out, but all counselling services are completely confidential and only you need to know.

  • Thank you for your advice. I generally see myself as a loving sort of person so it is very hard when a relationship breaks down because of these issues. As for the counselor or the therapist, I am currently trying to organize an appointment with my GP, just to get a little more advice before knowing where to go next. It has been suggested that I go see a one of the above before by friends etc, I guess I just dont know how, other than through a GP.

  • Your GP is a good start, but sometimes GPs can be a bit uncomfortable with this kind of thing. Do you mind telling me how old you are and where you are geographically? I may be able to suggest a place to get help.

  • I am 23 years old and live in the Newcastle Area. Getting an appointment at the GP's could take a very long time is all (Up to two weeks).

  • The trouble is that the kind of therapy that we are talking about is not always available on the NHS. If you were able to pay, then this is the ideal kind of place for you to start

    If you don't have funds, then your GP may be able to help. My advice to you is NEVER give up seeking help when you need it.

    Good luck x

  • Thanks for all the advice. I will check out Newcastle Therapy but I will still keep on at my GP's just so I am sure to get someone to listen. x

You may also like...