Do I Have Herpes? Please help x

Hey guys,

A few days ago I started to get the symptoms of what I thought was cystitis, burning down below, pain when going to the toilet and abdominal cramps. Last night i noticed an insect type of bite on my bum cheek but thought nothing of it. When I woke up this morning the bite has swollen three times the size, its rock solid and red hot. The pain got really bad and started travelling down my leg. I assumed the bite had got infected, panicked and went to hospital. The nurse checked me over and thinks I've got herpes, she gave me some tablets and im going for a proper test on Monday. I'm still in shock because me and my partner have been together for eight years! I know I haven't cheated but after a few hours of arguing he has admitted its from him. The pain in my bum is getting worse! My lips and tongue are now tingling and little lumps are now appearing! is that normal? can I get both? Can't get my head around the fact my fella has cheated and now I might have an std?! I'm absolutely heart broken.

thanks x

1 Reply

• Hi, I just spotted your post and saw there were no replies so far so thought I'd answer. I guess that you may had been for your tests by now and hopefully have a few answers, but here are some herpes facts to help understand. Herpes virus types HSV1 and HSV2 are pretty much similar and yes you can have both. 1 is basically oral herpes and 2 is genital, but once you have one type you can easily become infected with the other. For example oral sex whilst you have a lip herpe can give your partner genital sex. You can also infect yourself, for instance if you have touched a lip herpe and then masterbate or even if you change a tampon without hand washing first.

Herpes lie dormant in your system but erupt when you are feeling low or your immune system is down eg a cold or flu. It needs warmth and moisture but the virus doesn't live long outside the body so you won't catch it from towels, taps or cups - it needs direct skin contact. Once in your system it is always there but responds well to antiviral medication or tablets (aciclovir). Hopefully if you test positive your doctor will prescribe these but you can get them otc too. For the nerve pain from the blisters, take paracetamol or your usual painkiller regularly.

The itching and burning of the blisters is horrible. Keep them clean and dry, try not to scratch and use the aciclovir ointment as directed. Calamine lotion is very soothing as is bathing the sores with warm saline.

Unless your partner has admitted cheating don't be too hard on him as some people can carry the virus and spread it without having blisters themselves, so he may have unknowingly caught it before you were together. However I know how devastating it can be to realise you have an std, but it is not the end of the world and loads of us have herpes, it is very common.

Hope this helps you feel a little better. If it helps to know, my history is that I suffered from shingles (herpes zoster, the other herpes virus) repeatedly in my ear for 34 years and then it transferred to my groin for no known reason so I had tests and hey presto I had somehow managed to infect myself with HSV2 in other words my virus had morphed itself! By now I was 55 and horrified to find that at such an age I had managed to get an STD. I felt grubby and disgusted and on top of that had to explain it to my poor husband!

I did lots of research and my doctors were so unconcerned that I eventually came to terms with it and one good thing was that the blisters in my groin are far less painful to cope with than those in my ear were.

Wishing you all the best, try not to be too upset - it will get better I promise. X