Ramsays Disease
567 members464 posts

Research Funds

So, what does our overview ‘£1 million of biomedical research’ reveal? Well, the most important lesson is that physiological abnormalities and biological anomalies can be found in ME/CFS patients if scientists have the funding – and the drive – to uncover them. For too long, the prevailing wisdom among some policy makers and healthcare professionals was that scientific investigation was largely unnecessary, since the primary disturbance in people with ME/CFS was psychological. We now know this to be false: scientists can certainly find physical abnormalities – e.g. autonomic nervous system dysfunction, neutrophil apoptosis, arterial stiffness, impaired recovery from exercise, increased oxidative stress – and nonspecific psychological therapies are not cures.

meresearch.org.uk/our-resea...

Charities fund biological research pressure on government matching such funding for treatment or cure long overdue.

10 Replies
oldestnewest

How seriously the chequebooks flourished by USA report.nih.gov/categorical_... in comparison with other causes speaks loudly.

3 likes

P2P report was a long time in the making next year numbers say if waiting was time well spent.

2 likes

Agreed...and eagerly watching this space...

Thanks millysent...an encouraging direction (spurred-on by a patient group).

I'm interested to explore / read further by and by - noting the link to a research summary:

meresearch.org.uk/wp-conten...

Sincerely trusting momentum and funding continues - a beginning of a welcome catch-up after earlier meagre research years...

Thanks again...:)

3 likes

Mapping the research centres shows a widespread involvement from diverse fields of research a medical case has been established, the politics at the MRC are the log jam of increased research funding.

1 like

Thaks RockRose

1 like

Not until 2011 was MRC ( medical research council ) funding of biological research given anything whatsoever. mrc.ac.uk/funding/science-a...

All the more annoying when £5 million had been found for the PACE trial justifying the psychiatric lobby.

2 likes

Thanks, so true. Ian.and agreed. I notice the NIH has provided finding for some of the UK research...

Oh may this keep going now and begin making more significant headway...

2 likes

Agree with a positive keep going outlook that the tide is turning and significant headway will come from funding bio medical research.

I believe more has been achieved in the last five years than the previous thirty which has largely been spent on the defensive against neglect and abuse from the medical profession.

2 likes

Importance of education using research findings as they serve no useful purpose gathering dust on university bookshelves.

Outdated opinions and theories replaced with information new medical scanners show.

2 likes

You may also like...