PMRGCAuk
6,905 members10,884 posts

Programmable Steroid Reduction Chart

Programmable Steroid Reduction Chart

Hello Everyone

I recently produced a steroid reduction chart in Excel which can be altered to suit a particular tapering schedule and will simply recalculate. It is based on a 7 day cycle. Any number highlighted in green can be changed and the rest of the sheet automatically sorts itself out. For example, I just finished my 4th week of 5 mg so next week I start the reduction from 5 to 4. In the first week I will have 6 days at 5 mg and 1 day at 4 mg and so on. The number of weeks I stay at each level are set at 1 until I get to the next target. However, at the lower numbers, maybe the number of weeks needs to be 2 or 3. Whatever, this can all be input and each time it will adjust automatically. You probably have to play about with it to see it if suits. If anyone would like me to sent it out, please provide me with you email address in a private message and I will email it to you.

Cheers Kathryn

10 Replies
oldestnewest

WOW! Very cool... thank you! I have sent you a message! Cheers!!!!

On its way. Hope it makes sense!

2 likes

Hi Kathryn :-)

I like your idea of plotting reductions a bit more scientifically than the often arbitrarily recommended (by some GPs and Rheumies!) periodic 'step-downs' in Pred dosage.

I've found that it's also useful to keep a simultaneous record of Symptoms / Circumstances (e.g. the Flu / Weather conditions / Over-activity in the PMR context / Stress factors / Personal health context etc) in conjunction with the 'Plan' so as to make sense of Cause and Effect in the process: i.e. 'Are things going to Plan?' or (if not!) 'Have I reduced the Preds by too much and / or too quickly?' and / or 'Have, or do other factors impact on my reduction plan despite my most careful projections?'

Plus, of course, there's also the possibility that the PMR disease process can 'cycle' up and down in intensity regardless of our best efforts to predict and measure it. A Spanner in the Predictive Works or what?! ;-) ;-/ :-D

Either way, I'm sure your suggested approach will be greatly appreciated by many of us 'Confused.coms' here!

MB :-)

1 like

Hi Mark

Yes that is a good idea to keep track of symptoms, circumstances and other things that gum up the "perfect world" scenario. Wouldn't it be nice if I could say with all certainty that in 50 weeks I will be done! At least if I have to change tapering pattern, I won't have to reinvent the wheel.

1 like

You've seen this pinned post?

healthunlocked.com/pmrgcauk...

No I hadn't seen it as I had a fairly easy couple of years tapering from 50 mg (GCA diagnosed in April 2015) and didn't really need any aids. It was only when I got to zero in October and ended up with PMR (it was probably always there but masked by the higher steroid doses) that I needed to come up with much slower reduction plan. My chart and a 7day pill box works for me.

1 like

I use a page a month calendar and a pencil with an eraser. 😎

Pencil and eraser sounds like a good idea. Things really never go according to plan!

1 like

Exactly!!!!! Which is why I used this

healthunlocked.com/pmrgcauk...

with a diary/calendar and a pencil!! You can start anywhere, mark time anywhere and change your mind.

It really worries me when people use a long term planner that shows them a date for completion - it really seems a bigger deal when it goes wrong. And go wrong it will at least once...

I just sent you a message. Thanks for your work!

You may also like...