PMRGCAuk

Help! Away for the night and forgot my pred

Would be grateful for a quick response. I usually take 10mg pred at night but I'm away from home for the night and I've forgotten to bring my tablets. Will be a 12 hour delay before I can take them. How much does this matter? Will my symptoms return in that time? Gp not available so I can't get an emergency prescription. Thanks.

9 Replies
oldestnewest

If it's a 12 hour delay I would expect at least some of your symptoms to return, but it won't be the end of the world, you should be fine after taking your dose. I think the advice is to take your usual dose, not to double up.

1 like

Thanks.

All the best - try not to do more physical activity than you must!

1 like

You could go to a pharmacy and ask for one emergency dose - they will do it usually.

You should be fairly OK - a lot depends on how far above "your dose" you are and how long the anti-inflammatory effect lasts for you - it is between 12 and 36 hours or so. I used to take a double dose every second day and while it isn't really recommended for pMR it worked fine for me.

And when you get home put a dose in your purse for such an emergency. I never leave home without a dosette box in my handbag with 24 hours of medication - just in case. All it needs is the car to break down or you be taken unwell and you might need it!

7 likes

If there is an all night chemist they will sell you a dose, I have done this before. You shouldn’t feel too bad however, we all do it at least once. Take it as soon as you can.

3 likes

Keep in handbag at all times. I start feeling horrible before each dose. I split dose 2/3 morning 1/3 afternoon. First thing I pack before a trip...keep with me!

Pls get an emergency dose.

1 like

Crisis over! Thanks for your help. After a couple of jobs-worth pharmacists refused to give me a dose without a prescription, a triage nurse in the local a&e dept with a lot of common sense sorted me out. Won't forget again!

6 likes

Think I might complain about the pharmacists - since they are supposed to know better than anyone what happens if you suddenly miss a dose of pred!

What a sensible nurse - but they do generally tend to be.

2 likes

That's a relief for you. Now go put a copy of your prescription and a strip of pred in your purse for future events. I never go anywhere without either. All the best cc 🤗

2 likes

You may also like...