Disability card?

Has anyone gotten a disability card for parking their car? I am hesitant to even approach my doctor about one because am not sure PMR even qualifies. My hips, legs, shoulders have made my balance tenuous and my gait unsteady. I have tried a cane but still a bit unsteady. Much of the time if it's a bad day my husband drives me but still sometimes it's quite a walk. Currently he just drops me at an entrance but it sure would help to park closer. I'm sure it would be a temporary one but I'm hesitant to ask.

10 Replies

  • Hi Alison,

    I have had a Blue Badge for the last couple of years, mainly because I have osteoarthritis in my knee.

    I did mention to my GP prior to applying, but he advised that it doesn't have to go through him anymore (always did for my late husband) as rules had changed.

    You now apply direct to local county council - online or telephone. The main criteria is obviously how far you can walk, with or without stick, assistance etc. they do ask what your health problems are, so if you explain that PMR affects hips, legs etc and makes it difficult to walk, along with the general fatigue it entails you should be able to get it. Don't say anything about it being temporary, because when it runs out if you don't require it, then don't re-apply. If you say it's only only temporary then you are less likely to get it in the first place.

    If you look on local CC web you can see application form and questions.

    It may depend on each council, some may ask the GP for confirmation, but mine came back so quickly I don't think they had time to check with him. Go for it, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

  • Alison, I applied for and was given a Blue Badge - in fact, it was Social Services who recommended it and left the necessary forms when they visited me for the purpose of aids to help me get from the bed to the loo, including a raised toilet seat, during my undiagnosed days with PMR and then GCA. I also have a slipped spine (spondylolisthesis). Dorset Lady has given you good contact information and, as she says, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good luck.

  • Hi Alison, i just went along to my local council and bought one it was £10 for 3 years just had a note from Doc, very easy in Stockton on tees, good look,. Anne

  • Alison, something suggests to me that you are not in this country but maybe in the USA. In that case, the advice given here may not be relevant to you. I suggest that you first ask your doctor what the system is or, if you have any equivalent to our Citizens Advice, you should be able to get information from them. Good luck with this. Perhaps if some of our other trans Atlantic members are reading this, they will be able to help you.

  • Thank you for the advice. Yes - I live in Oregon and I suspect the rules in the states are different.

  • Hi again Alison. Didn't realise you lived in U.S. Yes your rules may be different, but not that much hopefully. When I went to New Zealand I got a temporary one based on the fact I had an UK/EU one. Try anyway.

  • Thanks so much. Here, in USA it has to come from a physician and have a qualifying diagnosis. But as I've mentioned before on this forum, the doctor's don't seem to take this disease very seriously. Of course the prednisone is the cause of some of my problems too. When I try to reduce I hurt so am feeling a little discouraged. Currently on 15(down from 20 in Jan/Feb)

  • Hi Alison,

    Lots of doctors in UK don't think it's a serious illness either! As you say long term use of Pred can also cause it's own problems, like muscular weakness. I find my legs are a lot weaker than they used to be. Trying to built them up again, but not that easy.

    Can only suggest you go back to doctor and really emphasize the problems you have with walking any distance without pain in legs and the fatigue that comes with PMR, and that you really don't want to put yourself in danger of falling.

    As for your reductions, once I got down to below 20mg I found doing the slow reduction over weeks rather than overnight helped, it seems to fool your body and doesn't realise there has been a reduction. Also, do little reductions, say 1mg rather than the 2.5mg recommended by some programmes. I know it sounds long-winded, but sometimes it's the better way to go. There's nothing more discouraging than either going up and down, or feeling rotten every time you reduce.

  • Yes I agree. Thank you. Sometimes "sharing" and hearing caring answers is like a pain pill. 😉

  • Bowen Therapy and some kinds of Tai Chi can help with balance etc. Nordic Walking Poles are brilliant if you can join a class do so, otherwise buy the DVD.

    Celtic did Tai Chi.

    Many of us have used or using Bowen Therapy, you have to book three sessions, but if it does not work in three sessions they will tell you it is not for you.

You may also like...