Large Fibroid In uterus

Large Fibroid In uterus

I'm 26, and have just been told following my Ultra sound that I have a 15cm Fibroid growing on my Womb. I noticed back in June 2017 that the bottom of my stomach was rock hard, but I just put this down to being due for a period. However, with each month that passed I noticed a large bump appearing and when I stood up, I looked a fair few months pregnant. I haven't had any children, however knew that it definitely wasn't a pregnancy. I have had severe pain and heavy bleeding during periods, severe lower back pain & am now struggling to bend over to tie shoe laces etc. I have been told that due to the size of my Fibroid, it has pushed my ovaries and bladder out of the way, therefore, my ovaries are now under just below my boobs and my bladder is on the side of the body. I have been told that I will be booked in for emergency surgery within the next 2 weeks because of the size of the Fibroid, so I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this, has been through the surgery and how it was, what the recovery time was and how you felt afterwards? I have added a photo which shows the lump I have at the moment and would appreciate anyone's feedback that has experienced this and the surgery before.

13 Replies
oldestnewest

I am experiencing the same sort of lump on my stomach next to my belly button. I am 38years me and my partner was pregnant when one of my 4 fibroids grew, unfortunately to the fibroid growing it pushed on the baby killing it. We were told after that we should be able to get pregnant again as the fibroids showed as small. However since then we have been trying with no success, and in the last 2 months I can feel one of the fibroids growing bigger as I can feel it growing in my stomach. My lump isn't as big as your photo shows, but when I lay down I can feel it's big, I've been asking for someone at the hospital to see me so we can try to shrink them so we can have a chance of having our first baby, but now I feel they are so big I read the doctor is going to say they have to do a hysterectomy. I was hoping you could tell me what kind of surgery you are going to have to remove yours. I wish you luck that everything goes well.

Oh that's awful! have you tried going straight to your GP and being referred to the hospital? that's what I had to do, as the hospital wouldn't do anything unless I had been referred?. Im having a Myomectomy surgery, so they've said. I just don't know what to expect so its a bit scary. I haven't got my date for surgery through as of yet, but its meant to be through within the next seven days, but i'll post another post once ive had my surgery. I hope you get yourself sorted and have a little baby soon! all the best :)

Hi thanks for replying. I've just been referred to the hospital this morning, I've also been put in for a scan in the next two wks so I'm hoping to finally get some answers soon. It would of been nice if they done something over a year ago then the fibroids wouldn't of grown so big, but hopefully I ll have something done soon now the g.p has finally referred me. Good luck with your surgery, everything should be fine, just keep positive.

Ahh that's very good news, I think that's the only reason they have been quick with mine, as mine is 15cm at the moment and still growing. I should have gone months ago, but I just hate the doctors so avoid at all costs. but glad they are moving with you. Hopefully you get all sorted :)

thank you :)

Good luck with everything let me know how everything goes I ll keep my fingers crossed for u as well as for myself. Good luck

1 like

Wish you well with your surgery.

1 like

Hi! I had fibroids, nothing like as large as yours, but extremely painful. I was in my mid-30s, had not had children but did not want them. I had a hysterectomy, was in hospital for a week, my husband stayed home for a week afterwards as I was so weak. Six weeks off work, but more than 2 months to recover. However this was 30 years ago, so techniques may have improved. I had air embolism in the scar, and suffered from pelvic pain for years afterwards, tried everything including acupuncture until a physio managed to defeat the pain. 30 years on I had surgery for bladder cancer and the pain is back, now more or less controlled by pills. But no doubt I was exceptionally unlucky and the outlook is better now.

1 like

Hi all, I completely sympathise with your condition , having just had a massive fibroid removed 7 weeks ago. It was causing severe pain and ridiculous heavy periods that never stopped, to the point I suffered from chronic anemia. The surgery was quick and relatively pain free, my life has changed and I feel free. Hopefully all goes well for you.

That’s really good, how long was you off work for? And how long was you in hospital for? And was it keyhole or like a c section surgery? Sorry for the many questions.

I had the opp under general anaesthetic, the procedure was a TCRF, wasn’t keyhole but they went through/up vagina ( hence glad was knocked out ) I was in hospital for a day and signed off work for a week. The after pain was fairly mild like my normal period pain , with some bleeding but nothing like I normally experience. The general anaesthetic made me feel a bit woozy but that wore after a day or so, and no heavy lifting! Have they told you what procedure you would have? I put it off for ages as I assumed it would be horrendous , but so glad I did it.

Oh okay, they haven’t told me anything yet apart from the fact it may be a csection type of procedure because my fibroid is too big. But I put off going to h the doctors for months, I found my lump back in June but was just too scared. I’m hoping it’s not as bad as I’m thinking. I have my pre-op on the 30th November so I I’ll know more then x

Whatever procedure , I firmly believe you will be much happier! Be brave be strong! This is actually quite common , you are not alone x. Let me know how you get on

1 like

Like you I was diagnosed with a very large fibroid (16cm x 11cm). I had gone to my GP a couple of weeks before Christmas with chest pain! I had blood tests to rule out ovarian cancer, ultrasound and mri which established that I had multiple fibroids and that the large one was pushing up into my gastric area hence my chest pain. This Tuesday I had a total hysterectomy and both my ovaries removed as well, all done through a bikini line incision. Depending on the location of your biggie you may need a vertical incision. I came home on Thursday after two nights in hospital. For me the worst thing has been recovery from the anaesthetic! It made me nauseous for a little while. I’ve been signed off work for 6 weeks and been told not to lift anything during that time. I was extremely anxious before surgery but the staff nurse who carried out my pre op assessment reassured me hugely as did the surgical team. The best thing to do is talk to them honestly and they will help you. I am still on painkillers and am very tired (sleeping 12 hours at night plus a couple of naps during the day), I don’t have any stitches (glued) and have had no bleeding at all. I’ve assumed that’s because I have no stitches. Yesterday I had a shower! My next milestone is use of my bowels as I’m constipated, a very common side effect particularly as I am using codeine to manage pain. On the subject of pain I was very uncomfortable for the first 24 hours or so after the op under my rib cage. I think is because my stomach and bowels had to rearrange themselves in all the space they’ve just been given. I used Pilates breathing techniques which helped to make breathing more comfortable. After that I had shoulder pain (again very common according to the nurses). That’s gone as well. My pelvic area and stomach are now soft as they should be, and now that the post operative swelling has gone down my tummy is noticeably smaller. I am looking forward to feeling less tired in the coming weeks and months - my consultant told me that having fibroids especially large one is very tiring as they take a blood supply. Oh I nearly forgot, you’ll be fitted with compression socks before your op so you don’t get blood clots. You’ll be advised how long to wear them for. Also having daily injections (2 weeks and do them myself) to keep my blood thin, also to protect against blood clots.

Well hope that helps!

You may also like...