Massage?

Friends, Still learning about this dreaded disease...today my husband scheduled a massage for me. I've had quite a few massages, but this one was amazing. I followed it up with 10 minutes in the steam room. I left the spa feeling better than I have felt in years. Anyone who saw me later asked what I'd done to get my spark back, it was that obvious. I started researching the benefits of massage for the liver...and read a few things that said that people with liver disease shouldn't get massages? Now I'm a bit worried...but I feel SO much better. Thoughts?

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I didnt know that ! I have regular massages and feel better for them. Hope someone has the answer to this. Should we or should we not have massages?

Goksel

• I would say if it makes you feel better then that must be a good thing...surely? I hadn't heard that massages were bad for the liver...can't really understand why it would be detrimental.

I'd be interested to unsterand stand the logic!!

• I've just found the article below...it seems that if you have cirrhosis of the liver you should consult your GP about having a massage...but it seems as though this is a massage targeting the liver, not just a general back massage, and it only seems to be if you have pretty advanced cirrhosis. I've also read somewhere that if you don't have cirrhosis then a massage targeting the liver can actually improve circulation and movement of toxins.

integrativehealthcare.org/m...

Maybe Robert at PBC foundation could offer some advice?

• I was just shocked at how much better I felt...I think the steam room afterwards helped, too. It made me really want to investigate how else to remove toxins. (I am starting to do Epson Salt Baths, also).

• I do "hot yoga" at a studio here in my town near Los Angeles. It's a grueling hour and a half of intense stretching and balancing poses in a room heated to 90 degrees. As challenging as it is to get through the workout, the unbelievable good feelings I get in my body and mind are completely worth it. I do the workout 2-3 times a week and it's been a God send in helping me battle the fatigue that comes with this disease. I imagine the massage you had gave your muscles a good stretch and got some built up tension stirred up, then the steam released them out. Leaving you feeling great. If you have a hot yoga studio in your town, I highly recommend checking it out. It's like a workout, massage and therapy session rolled into one - and it's good for you! Good luck :)

• happyclam ~ That is what I am considering now. I certainly can't afford massage 2-3 times a week!! But it was a game-changer.

You may also like...