Pernicious Anaemia Society a B12 deficiency possible if serum B12 is 618? I have tingling hands and feet tight calves hamstrings for 7 mos told its anxiety

Tingling began in feet and then to hands. Then my calve muscles are tight, deep tingling sensations, and they ache, very uncomfortable. My hamstrings are really tight. Less noticeable when I am active. Wrists hurt, hands and lower arms same as legs. Skin on my scalp crawls. All other bloodwork great. I am not fatigued. Neurologist says it's anxiety. I have had anxiety for about 10 years, but on meds and don't feel anxious now!

4 Replies

Yes you can be deficient. Drs use serum B12 to see if you're deficient but it fails to tell you what part of your body's B12 is being actively used. It could be, in your case, that it's not enough and what you are experiencing is the neurological problems associated to B12 deficiency. Ask your dr for an active B12 test, it most likely will be refused but you can go to some private drs or labs (like blue horizon) and they'll do it for you.

1 like

Hi Sadiejane

PLEASE DO NOT BEGIN TAKING B12 UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN FULLY TESTED!!! If you do you will screw up all your test results.

Your Serum B12 reading is about as much use as a chocolate teapot in defining if you are B12 deficient. First thing you need from your GP is a test for Intrinsic Factor, followed by a test for Parietal Cell Antibodies. These are both freely available on the NHS. The results of these tests will establish your ability to absorb B12 via your gut and hence your diet. The next test required is HoloTC, this will establish your (Active B12 level). If this has a low reading, then you may require an MMA test to further establish your more exact levels. In addition to these tests you might be wise to take a test for Homocystiene, this will further establish both your B12 and Folate levels, both of which are vitally important in your future treatments. You appear to be exhibiting symptoms of Neurological problems, if this is found to be so, then a great deal of research indicates that medicating with Methylcobalamin is far better than the normal Hydroxocobalamin used by GP's in their injection programs.

Regarding these tests and your GP's views on them, (sadly cost often being seen as a major factor in their eye's), the British Committee for Standards in Haematology the (BCSH) has recently set out their "Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Cobalamin (B12) and Folate Disorders, copies are available on the net, It might be a good idea to print out a copy, all 40 pages of it and take it with you on your next visit to your GP, chances are he will not have seen it, or if he has, then has he read it ??? I will look up the link for you and post it here later.

Advice and the above tests are available at Guy's Hospital by post. For details contact Denise O'Blein on 0207 188 7188, she will advise you further. Good luck hope you soon feel better. B12T


Hi Sadiejane

Regarding the BCSH link I promised please click on this:-


Hi Sadiejane.

You do not mention the periodicity of your symptoms. Certainly hyperventilation associated with anxiety can couse the symptoms you describe but one would expect this would occur in short episodes with improvement in between. It is certainly worth exploring your B12 status further.


You may also like...