Should I ask my doctor for more regular Vitamin B12 injections?

I have been diagnosed with Vitamin B12 and Folate deficiency about 18 months ago. After initial boost of injections, I receive injections once every 12 weeks and take folic acid daily. 3/4 weeks after my injection I feel extremely tired and light headed again and its like my brain is made of cotton wool. I have memory loss, do strange things and would be very clumsy. Should I go back to my doctor and request more frequent injections?

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Yes! Also ask for your ferritin, vit D and thyroid to be tested. How much folic acid do you take?

• They prefer to give them every 12 weeks. However, if you are experiencing symptoms e.g. stinging tongue, bed sweats, headaches etc then the nurse can give the injection after 8 weeks from your last injection, this is the most regular they will go, I think. Also, I don't think they can do it every 8 weeks for long-term, it is only if your symptoms get bad.

• My doctors give them to me every 4 weeks as I get numbness and pins and needles in my hands if not. It was a prescribing nurse that suggested it. I think if you have neuro symptoms they are more likely to give you more jabs.

You may also like...