Bought 3 different kinds of mucuna pruriens powder

The first powder I bought was Zandopa, manufactured by the company Zandu Emani Limited

in Kolkata, India. It says it contains standardized mucuna pruriens seed powder in a flavored base. It is an off white color with black specs. I have never taken it because there is a question what the flavored base is and also it does not contain all the ingredients of the MP powder.

The next powder I purchased is the Kapikachhu powder from Indigo Herbs of Glastonbury in the UK. It says it contains Organic Kapikachhu power and nothing else. It is exactly the same color as the Zandopa ( off white with black specs), however not sweet. That is curious, does that mean it does not contain all the ingrdients?

The third powder I purchased is Mucuna pruriens seed powder ( product of India) but manufactured in the US ( West Palm beach,Florida...Z Natural Foods.) This powder looks nothing like the other two. It is a yellow cinnamon color and has a bitter chocolate taste....not medicinal like the Kapikachhu powder. This is the one I have been taking and seems to work well.

The only difference I noticed between the Kapikachhu powder versus the MP powder at Z Natural foods is that it made me slightly sleepy.

All 3 claimed to be organic and safe......does anyone else have experience with the above or different powder forms of Mucuna pruriens?

17 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hello,

Yes i bought 2 different types of Mancuna P last year for my Dad to try as i was not impressed with the Sinemet he has to take & being a natural form of Ldopa why not,one was Zandopa from India in a round tub & the other was from a guy in Ireland who imported it & was a lot more concentrated i even think it was pure MP as the dosage was a lot less than the Zandopa & came in a silver foil bag like the army food you warm up in hot water! It was more expensive probably double than Zandopa £20-£25.Anyway after all that my Dad did not want to try it as he was worried it would have side affects with his other meds?? So he will never know if it would help or not & rather trust the Doctors ??????? How much Zandopa do you take a day & the other one from Glastonbury as i might try him again as he is getting worse,hes 78 by the way & diagnosed about 3 years ago.

THX Will & take care.

• Hi 3willy,

I started with 1/8 teaspoon and now I take 3/8 teaspoon of the MP powder 3x a day with sinemet (100/25) 3x a day. I have already eliminated 10 1/2 mg requip and 1 mg azilect. I would like to slowly increase my MP powder and eliminate my sinemet altogether...I will do it slowly. I am 61 and was dx in 2009.

Good Luck,

BMakla

• What are your symptoms? Have you seen improvement? Side effects? What is the advantage of using this vs Sinemet?

• I am tremor dominent and before taking sinemet, I couldn't walk across walmart w/o leaning on a basket....couldn't pick up my feet.,,,and alot of pain.

With LDN I am a changed person....but I still need sinemet. The mucuna will replace the sinemet w/o the side effects of dyskenisia ...that happens with sinemet. I haven't noticed any side effects of MP....but you must experiment with the dosing and make sure your source is safe and free of toxins......

• Forgot to mention I take the MP from Z Natural foods......which acts just like the one from Glastonbury. You do not want to give MP to your Dad if he is taking a MAOI like azilect......it could cause high blood pressure....so check his meds.....

Take care,

BMakla

• I keep hearing a lot about the MP to replace the drugs used.

so much conflicting advice and types available.

Does anyone know of a site which gives scientific views/trst results of it and how it works?

• Let me know if you receive a response. Thanks.

• I will indeed Thankyou

• Hello Oldtyke,

Put into your search engine:

Mucuna pruriens for Parkinson's disease - IOCOB

You will find an excellent article on MP.

Regards

Norton

• Yeah I just bought some from India. It's the earthy powder colour, no white bits. It tastes like bitter coffee or what I imagine bovril might taste like, but I may have taken too much. The reason I say that is because it made me tired and gave me stomach cramps (short term). However, I also took 5htp at the same time and maybe this made me tired. So 1) I took less MP to see if it makes a difference and I didn't add 5HTP today, instead I'll take it at night time.

I also take: Green Tea/L-Tyrosine 500mg - 1g/Vit C 1gram/B Vitamin complex/Melatonin at night (3 mg) and Propanolol 80mg slow release for my physiological tremors (which are mild).

• So... I've tried three different types of Macuna Puriens and didn't notice any difference. I've even slightly over dosed (just to test it) and nothing. What does this mean!? Argh.

• Have you tried Zandopa? I'm not promoting it, but it's the one I use, and I've found it to be effective.

• What dose do you take of Zandopa? I have it.

• 2/3 heaped teaspoons in half a glass of water first thing in the morning.

• Where do you buy your zandopa & how much is it? If you're using 2/3 heaped teaspoons just once a day, it must cost a lot? Also, surely that one dose wears off? What about half that dose twice a day?

• I get it from eBay. There is a supplier that I found who sells it at £23.99 for four tubs which I think is remarkably cheap. Occasionally I take a smaller dose in the evening as well. I don't recommend my dose to anyone else, it's the amount that works for me after experimenting. I used to take less, now I find I need a little more. You have to find what works for you- if it works for you.

• Well, you raise a very valid point.. I've taken my dose and I've taken your dose and I don't notice too much of a difference - that said (and it could be psychological) but I feel more in control.

Do most people feel a very noticeable physical difference within an hour of taking it?

Thank you!! P.

You may also like...