London Marathon

I posted on here a couple of weeks ago about my plans to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of being diagnosed with oc by running the London Marathon. I had the most amazing experience alongside the 37000 runners with the many thousands of supporters around the entire course cheering us on and keeping us going when muscles were tiring. I made it to the finish line in just under 4 hrs 15 mins and had some great celebrations with my supporters. It's a day I'll never forget and something I'd never dreamed I'd achieve. Now I have to decide on my next challenge!

23 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Bloody Hell!!!!!! You did a great time. Well done, Cath. Were you raising money for something, or doing it to prove you could?

Brilliant, whatever it was ...... and enjoy a bit of a rest until your next challenge. I am full of admiration for you. A real inspiration

Love Wendy xx

• Ditto! And here's me feelin smug about cycling a mile and a half in 10 minutes! Well done you! Mind you I never could run before I was ill!

Love Margaret!

• Hi Wendy. I ran to raise money for Ovacome and so far have raised around £1700 which way exceeded my expectations. I only started to fundraise a few weeks before the marathon as until then I was concerned I might relapse and not be fit enough to run.

• Dear Cath, You've been such an inspiration that even I have signed up for my local fun run. Nothing like a marathon - but hey I've got to start somewhere. Today I had my first run for about 40 years. OK it was only 5 minutes without a break but I did do more than half a km.

Do you have a JustGiving Site? Can you send me the address in a message?

Wonderful stuff!

xxx Annie

• Good for you! 5 minutes without a break is a great start - when I started I couldn't run more than a couple of minutes at a time but was determined to persevere and gradually built it up. Enjoy the fun run when it comes around.

x

• Congratulations, well done ! Love Sue x

• Wow! I'm so jealous! Isn't a marathon a 26 mile run? I really wish I could do that. I have a Morton's Neuroma on my foot and can't run for a long stretch - but I really, really wish I could. I could likely walk it, but it would take a lot longer than 4 hours and 15 minutes:-) I'm so proud of you. Congratulations! As others have said, you are a great inspiration!

Sandy.

• I had a Morton's neuroma about 10 years ago! My GP injected it (very painful) and it disappeared shortly after.

• Congratultaions. Everybody who can run a marathon has my admiration. I did do the 'Race for life' the year after my first diagnosis, but couldn't even do that now. It's a much as I can do too walk a mile let alone run one!

Well done

Love n hugs

Viv

• Congratulations - I'd be pleased if I could walk just half a marathon never mind run it!! Well done.

Liz XXX

• Congratulations CathW - Amazing time - what an incredible story. You've given us so much inspiration and have challenged our worst fears.

I've avoided all running throughout my life but I feel inspired by your story even if I have to walk the course.

I love cycling. One thing that might interest you is the London to Paris Cycle Ride. That definitely appeals to me.

Keep on running! love Annie xxx

• Congratulations!

What an achievement.What a great time.

julie

• Bloody well done I'd love to run the London marathon but not managed to get in through the ballot yet also not sure if I could run that far yet. How long did it take for your fitness to come back?

• My last round of chemo finished in July last year and I started doing a little bit of running again in late August. The marathon training in earnest started just after Christmas - great for getting rid of those extra festive calories! I find that sticking to a training programme gives a tremendous focus to my days and gives a great sense of wellbeing and achievement. That feeling when you cross the finish line makes all the hard work worthwhile

• I know what you mean I've done a couple of marathons in the past but did you run before your cancer diagnosis? I did and I've just noticed that my pace is much slower

• No. I had done no running at all until 18 months after my diagnosis in 2002. I was 51 then so my running pace has always been slow!

• Me too lol but its even slower I just find it a bit frustrating sometimes

• Fantastic News Cath .....

Well done you ! and what an amazing time too ....

Its something lots of us dream of doing but not quite sure that we would ever be able to do it .

Knees are ok but back is a different story !

Janet xx

• Congratulations,and what a fantastic time, well done you.Let us know your next challenge !!

Love Sue x

• Absolutelt=y wonderful well done you what an inspiration!!!!!

Kate x

• Cath

Congratulations and very very well done. You deserve to be so proud of yourself.

I work with two very fit young men in their twenties who have both done the marathon before , and guess what ...your time was much faster than either of them.....what a star you are.

Love

Charlie xxx

• Cath

May I add my congratulations and admiration at your wonderful achievement. My husband's jaw dropped in amazement!!

I wish you well in the future.

Love

Suex

• I've been thinking having cancer is a challenge. I am speechless with admiration that you find other challenges to beat the hell out of it. Amazing story. Amazing woman. Congratulations! Liz

You may also like...