Chemo infusion financial assistance : Hello... - My Ovacome

My Ovacome

15,698 members18,230 posts

Chemo infusion financial assistance

Sashay2020 profile image

Hello ladies. Can anyone in the USA on Medicare advise if she has had any luck having cost of chemo reduced? There is such a program at hospitals, but those patients receiving Medicare are prohibited from receiving assistance. Thanks much

Sashay

9 Replies

Hi Sashay if you don't have any luck on this website you could try the team inspire website which is mainly in the States. Good luck Sue xx

Sashay2020 profile image
Sashay2020 in reply to SUE7777

Thank you, Sue. I will check there. Sashay

Hi Sashay. I don’t know the answer but an organization called Cancer Care whose podcasts I listen to has funding available to help people—not sure with what. You can call and speak to an oncology social worker and they might have ideas.

Sashay2020 profile image
Sashay2020 in reply to delia2

Thank you kindly, Delia. I will see if they can help. Sashay

My chemo was completely covered 80% by Medicare and the other 20% by the Medigap insurance. I paid nothing else. My understanding is that as long as these treatments are in a hospital setting, they are covered by Medicare.

Sashay2020 profile image
Sashay2020 in reply to NYClady

Thanks. Unfortunately I did not know that I would have been better off getting original Medicare with medigap coverage. Selecting a Medicare plan was so confusing. I called a Humana agent and bought a Humana plan. It’s too late for me to switch now. I’m stuck with that 20 % copay. C’est la vie. Sashay

Hi Sashay , What a bummer ! I have Aetna and all I have is a small copay in January and that's it. There has to be some assistance available . Maybe your Dr's billing people can help , my Dr has office people who know all the angles . Good luck 👍. Gillian , Mookie Fox.

Ps my treatments are in my Dr's office.

Hi Sassy! I live in the United States and my Medicare covered 80% of chemo and my hospitalizations for the bulking. But I also applied to the indigent program at my hospital. I was accepted and that paid the rest. I’ve had no bills from the hospital at all.

So far mine has been completely covered by Medicare & my secondary…..you do need to make sure the labs & medical team are using labs & services that accept Medicare…my team has always stayed on top of that well too. If they send something to a group not accepting Medicare one might get hit with a bills.

You may also like...