My Ovacome
11,808 members14,199 posts

Olaparib - Another ClearScan

Hard post to write when I know so many are having such a rough time and believe me when I say I think of all you ladies regularly and that I appreciate how very lucky I am. Well I started taking Olaparib on a trial at the beginning of January 2014. Very Happy to report that I have just had the scan results back from yesterday and still ALL CLEAR. Didn't expect still to be saying this 5 years 1 month later. Kathy xx

72 Replies
oldestnewest

I am so happy for you. Please don’t be embarrassed about reporting this. It gives so much encouragement to a lot of us who are hoping to stay clear too.

Thankx

1 like

Thanks xx

Awesome, Kathy. I'm very glad for you. You are reminding us that this disease does not always have to end badly, but that there is hope. /bow

xx. Maus

2 likes

Thanks Maus, yes I have been very lucky. xx

Thank you for sharing your good news! I’m so happy for you and you give me so much hope because I’m half way through 2nd line chemo and hope to be put on Olaparib afterwards.

Oh I do hope your chemo is going well and that you do get the Olaparib. I have been very lucky, hardly any side effects (well none I can't cope with!). Big Hug xx Kathy xx

1 like

Wonderful news and I hope you'll have a little celebration tonight.

Sticky77

1 like

Thanks - I may raise a glass lol.xx

Dear Kathy,

You are a beacon to us all!

Please keep posting your positive experiences and your history, too.

We all wish we had access to Olaparib, as you see from the failures of Niraparib, because it’s sude effects are so much more extreme.

Bless you dear friend,

Hugs,

Laura

3 likes

Thanks Laura. Hugs back at ya! xx

That gives hope to lots of people no matter what they’re going through! Xxx

1 like

That’s just great news Kathy 🥂🥂🥂. It’s always good to hear such positive news .

Love Sheila 🌸🌸💕🌸

1 like

Great to hear Kathy! Much love xxx

1 like

Kathy that is amazing news. Never ever be hesitant in sharing good news. There is plenty of it out there and it needs sharing. Keep on being an inspiration

Marian xx

1 like

So pleased for you Kathy. Your news must give hope to others so never worry about sharing your good news xx

2 likes

Fabulous news Kathy! 🥂🎉⭐️

1 like

Well done Kathy that is fantastic news! Long may it continue!! xx

1 like

amazing news! Long may it continue :)

1 like

Fantastic news Kathy, long may it continue,, February 13 will be my second scan since starting olaparib, 🤞

Loren x

1 like

Heres hoping it continues to work for you as well as its working for me xx

wow thats amazing! Ive just been put forward for Athena trial at UCLH which is olaparib and rucaparib trial so thats very encouraging! Its blind so theres a 10% chance its just a placebo but a very good chance ll get one or both of these parps! Ive responded to carbo taxol (1st round) and had a 3cm diaphragm tumour found after 2 and its reduced and now 1cm and I've still got 2 chemo to go. Any advice would be amazing.

So pleased for you

Nikki

2 likes

Hi Nikki. Hope yr chemo is going ok and that you get on a parp. just make sure you get the right antisickness and hopefully it should be fine xx

I think it’s so important to share good news. You shouldn’t be worried about posting. These are the posts people look forward to reading xx

2 likes

It’s amazing and gives so many hope... we all need a little bit of that Kathy. 🎉⭐️💛

2 likes

Delighted for you. Well done.

1 like

Excellent news. Fay

1 like

Hello

It shouldn’t be a hard post to write. It’s always good to hear that things are working well.

Niraparib didn’t work for me so starting my fourth round of chemo in a couple of weeks but I will be pestering doctor for a try at olaparib very soon.

1 like

Thanks for posting good news, it really cheers me up to read positive reports. Long may you continue to be in this position.

Love

short friend x

1 like

Great news. Congratulations!

Grace

1 like

Great news! It’s amazing!

1 like

Hurrah, it’s great news. Nicola

1 like

So very happy for you Kathy! What awesome news! Thank you for sharing. You are such an encouragement to others in many ways with your posts. Continued blessings to you! 💖 Peggy xx

1 like

It goes to show how far treatment has come. So pleased for you and anyone who is having positive responses that enable them to live their lives to the full. It’s very uplifting to hear. Long may it continue. X

Cheryl

2 likes

Congratulations!!!!! This give me hope, I finished my last Chema September 4th (Fallopian tube ) was very excited with NED and CA125. Was 3 then Jan 18th had bladder lift surgeryand found tiny spot and it was positive 😟 So February 8th will start chemo (6treatments) once again. But with different drugs ... carbo/Gemzar and maybe Avastin .... don’t know what to expect for side effects from these drugs, and just sad right now. But luv hearing success. Stories! Hugs

1 like

That's great news, just what we need to hear xxx

1 like

Such hopeful & encouraging news . Wishing you many more such years . Keep posting please .

Mary x

1 like

Kathy, that’s fantastic news. Thanks for sharing. It lifts my spirit to hear of your success. With love Jo xx🌺🌼🌸🌻🌹

1 like

That is brilliant!!! . 4 years is amazing . You must be over the moon!!! . I’m sure your doctors are delighted too!! I’m so glad that drug is working for you! I wonder could it work for non BRCA women too?. Hope you have a nice weekend and do something nice to celebrate the clear scan!!! It’s super news and thanks for sharing it .

D

2 likes

That’s amazing. It’s following your journey that has helped me so much. May you have many more years of all clear ahead

LA xx

1 like

Thanks LA. Hope you are doing ok xx

Congratulations Kathy, I feel your delight and it’s deserved. It’s important to share good news, it gives encouragement to us all. Keep up the good work lovely ❤️Xx Jane

1 like

Fantastic news Kathy.This is so encouraging to read xx

1 like

Well done ! It's so good to read of your success.

Can I ask why you finished with avastin. Was it the end of a trial, or was it no longer working for you? Keep up the good work. Pauline.

1 like

Hi Pauline. I completed the trial for Avastin and went about 3.5 years after completion before my first recurrence x hope you are doing ok xx

Fantastic news, Kathy. And thank you so much for continuing to share your good news and providing others with so much hope and support xx

1 like

Great news x

1 like

I think about that--and you--all the time Kathy and let's face it, we need good news. You say this is a trial and my hopes are they really are focusing on you and others who are going long term (maybe forever!) on a PARP (or Olaparib in particular) to see what/why/how as it will help so many down the line. Congratulations to you and ENJOY. You are the reason I say rubbish when the medical community says they don't know if PARPs can extend life expectancy. SO happy for you. oxoxoxo Judy

Hi Judy. Thank you. They are focusing on me in a way, I was asked early last year if they could take extra bloods and have access to my original histology so they can try to understand why im doing so well. Of course I jumped at the chance. Whatever it takes...... thats why I take trials if lucky enough to be offered one, not just for me but for others and those who will be diagnosed in the future . hope you are doing ok xx

2 likes

Well done Kathy. Your positive result gives everybody such hope for all our futures. It's a time to celebrate for us all. Keep on striding forward l for one hope to keep pace with you. Take care

X X X

💚💕

1 like

Well done Kathy, may it go on and on and on, and hopefully they will learn from you. Love Bridie

1 like

Fantastic Kat, just shows that they don’t always know and some are so quick to give in ! Credit to us all xx

1 like

Thrilled for you Kathy, here is hoping for continuing successes and beating the odds. You should never apologise for doing so well. It really does give hope , and hope is a very , very powerful thing. It inspires and for some of us makes us think positively that We also could be one of the lucky ones.Love Chris

1 like

Oh goodness! Good news and such an encouragement! Thankful!!!!

1 like

Brilliant news Kathy. And thanks for posting - it gives encouragement to us all.

Gwen xx

Fantastic news! So happy for you. You bring hope to everyone!

1 like

Fantastic news Kathy. Long may it last. xxx

1 like

That is wonderful news and very encouraging! We need posts like yours to keep us believing and fighting! We are beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel! Best wishes to you for continued good health and happiness!!!

XOX

Marisa

1 like

This is so encouraging! I’m due to start on Olaparib in 2 weeks having just finished frontline treatment- now NED. I hope it works as well for me. My oncologist is very excited about this drug so I feel very lucky to be offered it!

Good luck, I hope it works well for you. Are you BRAC positive?

1 like

Yes Brac1. That was one of the criteria to get it after frontline treatment so at least that’s a plus. Just hoping I don’t get too many side effects - fingers crossed!

I have very few side effects, loose/urgent bowel Motions (sorry prob TMI LOL), dizzyness now and again from sudden drop in blood pressure when standing/rushing around, some nausea. Other than that its life as usual xx Good luck !

1 like

Thank you , I’ll see how it goes 🤞🏻

Can I ask where you’re being treated? I was keen to get Olaparib after frontline chemo but it’s not yet been given NICE approval (in USA now given FDA approval though).

Thanks (message me if you’d prefer not to state on here).

No it’s fine...I’m being treated at st.James Leeds. I was offered it at Christmas ( my last chemo 4th jan) My oncologist was very excited saying how wonderful this drug was and I have since got to the bottom of how it’s become available after frontline as he explained it all to me today. AstraZeneca have agreed to fund nhs patients after frontline basically for life or until it stops working basically because they are after the frontline market so it’s a bit of a sweetener to try to secure the deal and I believe it will be reviewed again by NICE later this year. It’s an extension of the SOLO trial but no placebo and as long as the individual hospital signs it off ( but why wouldn’t they - it’s a free drug that’s proven to be effective!) St.James signed it all off and approved it today! Now any lady can have it after frontline chemo as long as they have a good response to chemo and they have to have a Brca mutation but I believe it can be germline brca or brca mutation in the tumour. You have to be on the drug within 8 weeks of frontline chemo which is why I was there today having blood tests etc as they are ordering the drug in for me and I have an appointment to receive my first lot in two weeks. It’s no secret as all the nurses were talking about it so speak to your oncologists and quote me if it helps! Good luck!

1 like

Hello, can you message me the name of your consultant please? I'm going to seek a second opinion even though I'm now five months post chemo finishing. Thank you!

I’ve sent you a message

Clare x

Hello. Can I ask, is everyone who’s has had Olaparib on a trial or are they offered it as standard? I’m doing on Athena which is a trial at UCLH but there is a chance I will get a placebo. Can I ask how people got it and where? I’m clear cell stage 3c. Many thanks

Fantastic, wonderful news 🎉

Please don’t stop posting your good news as it gives us so much hope for the future 🥂 Cheers and here’s to many many more clear scans for you and other ladies on these Parps

Love and best wishes Kim 💜x

1 like

You go girl!

1 like

ARE YOU KIDDING! This is news we all want/need to hear. Keep it comin' girl and may it long continue. Hugs from Kathy in Seattle

1 like

Great news and long may it last.😀😀

1 like

Congratulations! I agree with the others. It gives hope to those of us who have only had a couple of clear scans so far!

1 like

You may also like...