Oophorectomy post-menapausal?

Hello! I'm new here and found this site because I was looking for information on ovary removal post-menapausal. My mother died from OC and my sister and I have had stage 0 breast cancer. I have tested positive for a defective RAD50 gene and probably should have my ovaries removed before it is too late but am hesitating for some reason. Does anyone have experience with a mutant RAD50 gene and/or post-menapausal oophorectomy recovery and side effects? Thank you!

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Probably a majority of us on here - but not all by any means - were post menopausal when we had the surgery. This does make it much easier to cope with. It's really tough for those who have a surgical menopause as a result.

Most of us who have it also have other treatment, either more surgery or chemo so I suspect we would cope less well than when it's done "just" prophylactically.

I know RAD51 is of interest , but don't know anything about RAD50.

Good luck with the decision making.

• Thank you for responding. It is difficult since there are no reliable tests available as we all know so I could have OC and not know it yet. My prayers are with everyone here going through this horrible disease.

• I was post menopause when I had my hysterectomy and have been having mini hot flushes since. Nothing I can't deal with but it is a bit annoying to go through it twice.

• Thank you for responding. Good to know and prepare for.

You may also like...