Feeling well so..Time for a new career, any advice?

Hello everyone, 

I haven't posted in a while. I am feeling well enough now to think about getting back to work but I don't want to work in psychiatric services anymore. So, I starting looking around for careers advice after cancer and haven't found anything. I feeling rather lost anyway after all the treatment so that thought of finding a new career is quite overwhelming. Has anyone had a similar experience and found any useful support or guidance anywhere? Many thanks 

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I'm sorry I havent had your experience I just wanted to reach out my support to you. Try to make sure you don't rush anything and before you decide a total new direction make sure your're head is in a good clear place and you are happy. Xxx Trish 

• Dear Trish,

Thanks for your support and yes I am trying to take one step at a time.

Best wishes

Mitch

• Hi, I was retired when diagnosed so have not had to worry about work,  but I agree with TrishLey, don't rush , I'm sure you will know when a job comes up that it's the right one for you.

Best wishes, Trix

• Dear Trix,

Thank you for your reply and kind thoughts!

Best wishes

Michelle

• Hi, Really glad to hear that you are feeling well :) Have you thought about volunteering? It can be a really good way to 'try before you buy' as it were, when you're thinking about a career change. It's amazing how varied the volunteering opportunities available are! It can also be a good no- pressure way to ease back into the work environment after a spell off for treatment. If you live in the UK volunteering doesn't affect any benefits you may be receiving. Try looking online for your local volunteer centre or do-it.org Again, in the UK there'there's the national careers service nationalcareersservice.dire... or for grads, prospects.ac.uk/

Hope that helps!

Jen

• Hi Jen, thanks for your comments. Yes I am volunteering in a local charity shop at the moment. It has helped build my confidence and get back into the workplace. I will check the website. 

Many thanks again.

Best wishes

Mitch

You may also like...