On mtx - How often do you have your blood tested?

I'm just interested as I started with weekly tests and quickly went to monthly which I'm still on a year later. I asked the phlebotomist about this when I had my latest test this morning and she said some people go to 3 monthly! Has this happened to any of you?

15 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi When I was on MTX I was on a monthly blood test which I was told would be normal regardless of how long I stayed on the drug.After 18months I was changed to leflunomide where I continue on monthly blood tests. Hope that helps! Good luck. Love Alison x

• I'm still on monthly blood tests but I am also on prednisolone for another condition.

sandra.

• I was on a monthly test cycle for 2 years and now on a bi - monthly. Your GP should be the person who determines the frequency because they know what to look out for. Good luck!

• I'm on monthly unless a change of dose or meds and then it goes to 2 weekly. I think it's always monthly for anyone on these drugs up here. Tilda x

• Hi

I'm on 3 monthly since I've been on biologicals as well as mtx. Prior to starting biologiclals I was on 8 wks bloods tests whilst on mtx & hydroxy. My bloods are always good, so I was moved on to 3 monthly.

Hope that helps

Joanne x

• I'm on 6 - 8 week blood tests now, but that's after several years of having monthly tests and now being pretty stable as far as my blood goes. Polly

• Thanks all, I was just interested to see how we all compared. Todays blood taking was a particularly sore one so I was just hoping that one day they'll be done less often x

• Four weekly, which is the protocol for this Trust. My GP won't issue the new prescription unless the blood test has been done and he's seen the results.

Dotty x

• I have been on monthly blood tests for 20 years - never seems to change no matter what drugs i have been on. Luckily I have good veins or I'm not so sure I would still be going !

Sally x

• I started on monthly but now on 3 monthly as test results were stable. You could ask to have blood test results explained.

Hope it works well for you x

• Wow, I have my blood test only every 3 months.

Christine

• I'm still on monthly tests after nearly 4 years.

• They'd nurse just told me fortnightly for 8 weeks, monthly for a year then 6-8 weekly at the most. Guess it depends a lot on where you are.x

• I have to have monthly blood tests with my methotrexate. My Doctor failed to organise this for me so I went to a different doctor who now gives me a bunch of tests forms and put the date by month on the form. I have a regular date which I picked and manage myself- much safer!

• I started blood tests weekly also, then two weekly, monthly, two monthly and now three monthly.

You may also like...