Hi just reading the posts here about the Covid vac. Had RTx infusion in July and I’m on mtx. I’m really very anxious about having this vaccine now as I’m not sure how my system is going to cope I have very severe PN and don’t want to rock the boat as the saying goes. I will have it but just very anxious now.
A little worried about the Covid vac.: Hi just reading... - NRAS
Do you have the flu jab? Or have had the pneumococcal jab in the past? It is just a vaccine, like these others.
I think pandemic has meant a huge focus on this, with lots more debate about the details that we normally wouldn’t even think about. And all the medicines we take have potential to harm as well as do good. The leaflet on RTx is really scary!
So talk to your doctors about it, and try to think of all the positives that being vaccinated could bring.
Check with your rheumy nurse or the clinic where you have your Rtx infusion......from July to now is 6 months post infusion & that will probably be long enough for the Rtx not to affect the efficacy of the Covid vaccine..but any time you are worried/not sure about any treatment....always check with medical team.
It should be ok but I would talk to your specialist/unit for advice.
I can understand that a bit though at least the timing is rather perfect to have it. We are trying to see if I can get the vaccine in before my I start with my 1st infusion which is going to be in the next few weeks. At the very least your body will the best chance it can to build up as much immunity as it can. Good luck 👍🏻
Ps me... the quicker they can get it in my arm the better ... choice ... high risk of passing away v not ... sorry to be blunt but that’s what my docs say to me ... I do actually trust them and boy have I questioned them about it all multiple times.
I really hope you can get the vaccine before bubblyalex, as we certainly can't be having any of that for sure! Xxx
That was what was bothering me wether the vaccine would cause a flair up of the R.A. or make my PN condition worsen.
If you are talking about a Rituximab infusion....you .will need to wait until after the second vaccination before having the CV19 vaccine. If you have Rtx too close before ....it will stop you making antibodies to the vaccine....making it less effective.
Discuss it with your rheumatology team well ahead of time...the person giving the vaccine will be of course be qualified to give the injection but will not have your clinical history there in front of him or her , and probably won’t be qualified or have time to have long discussions on the day of the vaccination.
Second Rtx “infusion” do you mean? Again, the very recent NRAS Zoom with senior rheumy Dr James Galloway discussed this re the ideal window of vaccine opportunity and the repopulation of B cells. For those who haven’t seen it and have Rtx, I’d really say it’s worth watching,
No....I mean the second CV19 vaccination. The first CV vaccination starts off immunity.....building up the antibodies, the second builds it up to full strength.So then you can have a Rtx infusion quite soon after the second CV vaccination.
Preferably....you just don’t want to have a Rtx infusion closer than 6 months before the CV vaccination.......It’s the same rule as with the Influenza vaccinations.
But as I said...discuss your own clinical condition with your own doctors well ahead of when you expect to have the CV19vaccination.
Misread your post. Yes I understand entirely the two Covid vaccine logic. Understand flu vaccination too as I had to wait a length of time for my own flu shot. It’s either a good month before Rtx to get your Covid vaccine, the senior rheumy said on the NRAS chat or ideally some months after to mount the best immune response. I will be speaking to my own rheumy well before any vaccine appointment text comes to me.
Of course those who have Rtx should talk to their rheumy as you’d want of try give yourself the best chance of having a better immune response to the vaccine. Yes, as mentioned before and as the senior rheumy via NRAS said .. you need to wait 6 months after Rtx so your B cells are repopulating.
Ideally six months but it doesn’t have to be. I’ve spoken to my rheumatology team, I have rtx every six months and it works well for me. However, even delaying my dose by one month in the spring (from April to May) caused me a massive flare . Therefore, waiting six months before having the vaccine, waiting 3-12 weeks between doses and then waiting 4 weeks for rtx isn’t an option. The rheumatology team have said I only need to wait 4 weeks after my second rtx treatment before receiving the vaccine (the same as I have been advised for flu vaccines).
As I have said everyone on Rtx should discuss their own individual condition with their rheumy team ASAP ....what would be suitable for me would not suit another person.Of course I don’t know for sure...but I wouldn’t imagine there will be time for informed discussions on the day of vaccination....so we should all find out what/when etc soonest.
Vaccinations for the first group begin in my area today....so we’ll see how things progress.
Yes I agree there won’t be time at the vaccine clinic to discuss it properly and they won’t have enough detailed medical knowledge of our drugs or our personal medical history to be able to go into this in enough detail. I have been volunteering at the vaccination clinic at our hospital and whilst the staff there are all lovely they are on a very tight schedule.
My point was that people shouldn’t panic and worry about having to wait six months if they are in a similar position to me but should speak to their rheumatology team for advice.
I don't have any answers re the RTX but understand your anxiety. Hopefully some of the replies will reassure you and you will get some good advice from your Gp or Rheumatologist. All the best.
My meds are also Rtx and Mtx and I am wanting to have a vaccine. I have bronchitis every second month or at best every three months. . Watch the NRAS Zoom chat with James Galloway, senior rheumy at King’s College hospital London. They focus on Rtx quite early in the chat and also speak about Mtx. It’s on the NRAS main page. He said 6 months after Rtx would be an ideal time to have the vaccine but you can’t plan it but you can’t always plan easily with Rtx as you know. He said some protection is better than no vaccine even if B cells hadn’t fully repopulated that other parts of the immune will still be working. I am trying too to get the optimum window to do it but that also hinges on when one is called for the vaccine.
I would be interested in watching James Galloway's zoom chat, but couldn't find it on the NRAS main page. Would you be able to direct it to me please, Neonkittie17?
Try this link. I think you should be able to watch it without a Facebook account. It was very informative. Definitely recommend watching it. m.facebook.com/story.php?st...
I can’t link it from my phone .. I tried, but I’ll just go see exactly where it is for you and let you know.
The BSR website advises their clinicians that the vaccine should be given at least 4 weeks before the Rituximab infusion.
That’s what Dr Galloway said or wait ideally six months after your Rtx.
Yes that’s what I’m going to do x
Me too Lola .. it will be 6 months in February since my last Rtx and I don’t think I’ll be called for the vaccine by Feb, so I am hoping I don’t need to go quite so soon for the next Rtx (usually lasts longer 🙏) and I’ll hold on till I’ve had the vaccine. x