Stiffness : I was diagnosed with RA last year and I am... - NRAS

NRAS
26,731 members30,668 posts

Stiffness

Birman4
Birman4
10 Replies

I was diagnosed with RA last year and I am on Methotrexate injections now but my annoying problem is that if I stop doing anything ( sit down) or stand up washing pots, I stiffen up and trying to move around for the next 20 minutes, feels like I have pulled every muscle. Is this normal for RA? Should I tell my consultant?

10 Replies
oldestnewest
ketiv74

I would talk to the consultant. May be you need a change in dosage? or a different med?

1 like
Ladybird67

Hi Birdman4

I’m exactly the same, I try to do what I can when I’m up because when I do sit down I can’t get up again if I do manage to it’s agony. I feel like a rusty old car lol I’m only 50 I was told this was typical of RA and OA which I have both. I would mention it to him though

2 likes
helixhelix

Well it happens to me too. I think it’s pretty typical. However since I started doing daily stretching it’s been much better.

3 likes
AgedCrone

Quite agree HH .........as does is standing up straight as we were told as children . I know sort of tensing & hunching up and cuddling yourself does seem to be the automatic thing we do but gentle stretching, shoulders back & breathing well to oxygenate the blood really does help the stiffness pass off quicker.

Another thing my physio pointed out- was that as we walk upstairs we tend to lean forward whereas it really is much kinder on your joints to keep upright to balance your weight.

1 like
janmary

Me too. Worse some times than others. Can be embarrassing! At it’s worst in the evening or after ‘exercise’ .

2 likes
Tillie20

Hi I feel,the same I can do all my exercise with no problems but when I sit down and then get up I am very stiff I think it is just a symptom of RA but talk to your GP if it is worrying you x

1 like
Bookworm55

Yes I get that too - thought that it was a classic symptom of RA. Stretching certainly seems to help. It seems that the more I’ve moved around and the longer I’ve moved for the stiffer I am after resting.

1 like
Leics

I get it too I find that I can’t stand still in one place for very long and won’t sit for more than half an hour at any one time during the day or I suffer the consequences of stiffness and pain associated with it. So I have learned what is best for me to move around a little to keep me mobile no matter how much pain I’m in. Stretching gently definitely helps but sometimes can set off spasm if I try and over do it (particularly my ankles) which are a bit swollen atm with fluid. Find your balance and what works for you, mention it to rheumy but I think it happens to most with RA.

4 likes
sunnyweek

Yes I'm always stiff after sitting even after half an hour. And also after standing, which I can manage for about half an hour, my knees become stiff. I do think it's very common with RA. Yes mention it at your appt it often helps to voice any concerns. I do stretches like other people here have said to help loosen my joints. RA eh who'd have it! x

2 likes
Matilda_1922

I have this problem too I spoke to the consultant they said in so many words that I may continue to have this problem

You may also like...