NRAS
22,112 members • 25,734 posts

Sciatica and now mouth ulcers 😡

Hi there , i posted recently about severe sciatica which is no better, now for last week I have had mouth ulcers , the worse ones just inside my lips . I don’t know the cause , maybe because im feeling low or maybe because my white cell count is very low . I have been using anbesol liquid and rinsing with salt water. Has anyone any ideas re the cause or any suggestions for treatment . My mouth has also been extra dry if that’s a factor?

11 Replies
oldest • newest

Being low will do that darling i am sad to say,i hope you soon perk upn sweetie.xxx

1 like

Are you taking Methotrexate? It can cause mouth ulcers. I take Folic acid for 3 days after Mtx.

1 like

Hi paul , im getting rituximab infusions every 6 months , i dont think my levels are low . Would extra help?

If u are on methotrexate it can cause mouth ulcers .if this is the case ring ur rheaumtoglist nurse for advice amy

1 like

Thanks Amy , im not on methotrexate , the rheumy Nurse is due to call me so will ask if she has any suggestions.

Hi again

I had a look online and did find a reference to mouth ulcers as a side effect of Rituximab. The advice was to speak to your Dr or nurse asap.

Paul

1 like

Thanks paul for doing that ! The nurse is ment to phone me about the sciatica if I don’t hear soon I will call her instead.

1 like

Hi weathervane i had mouthful when on higher dose of methotrexate, horrible. I know nothing about rituximab but used adult bonjela, upped folic and reduced mtx, added hdroxyc to make up gap. Hopefully your rheumy nurse can suggest something. It's drug side effects that get you down most sometimes, good luck x

1 like

Thanks kerena , its is horrible , ive been taken off plaquenil because of low white cell count. How long did it take the folic to take effect with the mouth ulcers?

Difflam mouthwash is great for mouth ulcers....my rheumatoid nurse swears by it, and you can get it on prescription

1 like

Do you know if it is also good at preventing mouth ulcers as get them regularly.

You may also like...