Don't know where to begin really as there's so much crap going on in my life, anyway here's just a bit of it... I still have this UTI that I've mentioned in recent posts. To recap.... finished my 3rd weekly course of nitrofurentoin on wednesday, submitted urine sample on thursday morning, no need to wait for results though as symptoms have recurred this morning. I've stopped mtx due to this UTI for approx 6 weeks and am beginning to flare with nasty pain in shoulder and chest for the last few days. I have my son's wedding next friday and with no sign of things improving, very probably the opposite will happen if my past history is anything to go by, so I'm obviously concerned as to what state I'm going to be in for that. I've also been losing confidence and getting more than a little frustrated with my GPs for some time now, but the final straw came when I went to see one of them about a long term skin disease I have on monday.... he prescribed a course of flucloxacillin, which I suppose would have been worth trying if he hadn't previously prescribed 4 consecutive weekly courses that failed to clear it a couple of months ago. I'm at the stage now where I'm seriously thinking about changing to another practice despite this meaning that I would have to travel about 5 miles instead of 1 mile as I currently do, which won't seem much of an inconvenience to some, but can cause problems for me as neither my wife or I drive and travelling can be an issue if I'm having a bad flare, but I think I really need to try and find a GP who is willing to show a bit more interest and enthusiasm, for want of a better word, in dealing with what can be very serious complications that my chronic health issues require, and which to my mind is clearly not happening now, nor has it been for some time.
I've got an appointment with rheumy on monday and am wondering if I should mention the issues I have with my GP practice to her? Also of concern, and I'm probably jumping ahead of things here, but can't help feeling I need to as this UTI thing is certainly dragging on now....what will happen when the lab finds out that it still hasn't cleared? Will they do another culture to see if the bug is sensitive to a different antibiotic to nurofurantoin?... which would seem the obvious step to me, but what do I know! More food for thought...recently been in touch with a pharmacist, and he reckoned that if 2 weekly courses of the same antibiotic fail to work, then a different one should be tried and you should not be given a third course.