Kidney Dialysis
798 members272 posts

Been there done that!

Been there done that!

Hi my name is Dave I had a kidney transplant 5 months ago I feel I need to talk about my exspearance!i was on dialyses for 7 years and the last 4 I had more appointments than you could shake a stick at! Now I had my transplant 5 months ago there’s no more dialyses no more appointments! It’s amazing but that whole part of my life is gone I should be happy. I am. But how do I fill the empty time I have now?so I thought touch ites like this out maybe make some new friends and maybe help someone going through what I just went through!

Dave

10 Replies
oldestnewest

Dave were you on Hemo or PD?

Hi when I was on dialyses 3 years PD and 4 years hemo it was realy hard towards the end! Then one day I got the call it’s been 5 months since my transplant and I feel great like night and day!if u have the opportunity for transplant do it!your life changes allmost over night! If like I’ll tell u about all myexsperanced along the way!

Dave

1 like

Why did you go from PD to Hemo?

Hi well I got an infection in my adimin was in hospital for 10 days they tried 3 or 4 different antibiotics nothing was working I’ve never felt pain like that in my life, it was crippling! Finally they did surgery and removed my catheter that’s where the infection was, so they gave mea choice to get a new catheter or go on he mo? Well I chose hemo wasn’t taking the chance of another infection, I thought I was going to die!

Thanks for the input!

Wow, congratulations! I think it's great that you want to share your story with others who are going through something similar. I'm sure your story will inspire, motivate and reassure patients dealing with something like this. Thank you for your willingness to help others!

Congrats on your transplant. Were you listed the entire 7 years? Why so many appointments in the last few years? I was listed for almost 10 years but never got a transplant. I hope to re list elsewhere since I've also moved to a new region. I've been on dialysis going on 17 years. Its tough, not for the weak that's for certain. Wishing you all the best as you share your journey. Blessings

Hi no I only got on list 2 months before I got the call for kidney. Reason was I had hep C that took 2 years to deal with then I had to start the process all over again! Also type1 diabeties which added to the testing high blood pressure 200/100 while on Machines! Most people get low BP not me there where all kinds of obstacles but I. Overcame them! 5 months since transplant doing great! Hope u get that call soon🙏

Hello Gotthecall_123! When I read your initial post, I instantly related. I was on PD for 2 years, and was just transplanted 3 months ago. After being transplanted, I no longer had to do the nightly dialysis routine so I started to feel something like an emptiness in my life. After all, I had previously arranged life around my dialysis schedule so that I would not miss or forget to do it daily. I felt guilty to say anything about the emptiness, because receiving a new kidney is such an amazing gift.

It takes time, I think, to adjust to any drastic change in life. Anyway, I just wanted to say I can totally relate! Thanks for posting that because I thought I was the only one:)

Hi I hear you! I’d like to talk more! I’m away until Thursday but when I get home I’ll be intouch ok

Dave

You may also like...