Salmon & Vegetable Casserole

Salmon & Vegetable Casserole

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering what you've had for your evening meal tonight - it's always good to share meal ideas. I had a Cajun Salmon steak with a vegetable and bean casserole. The casserole contains carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, butternut squash, sweet potato, mushrooms, white onions, borlotti beans, tinned tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano spices, and olive oil) and I put a little goat's cheese on top too for added flavour. I tried it earlier in the week with haloumi cheese, and that was really good!

Hope you're all having a great week, and please share your meal ideas - if you want to! Zest :-)

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

78 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • Wow Zest, that's a veritable vegetable bonanza! It sounds scrummy! :)

We had sea bream, roasted butternut squash, red cabbage and green beans :)

• Hi Moreless,

Yes, it is a Vegetable Bonanza - that sounds like a much better name!!! :-) It was indeed scrummy and I will be doing it more often, as I am really enjoying it. I make sufficient to last us a couple of days, which means we just re-heat the next night, and it saves on chopping and cooking etc. :-)

Your Sea bream, with roasted butternut squash, red cabbage and green beans sounds incredibly tasty and very healthy - I really like the sound of that!

Zest :-)

• I'm definitely going to make your vegetable bonanza, right after my next shopping trip! :)

• Fantastic!!! :-) I hope you really enjoy it. :-)

• When you say Red Cabbage is that fresh or in the containers you can buy at the supermarket please Moreless X

• Always fresh, Kazzy :)

• Looks delicious! We had chicken sweet sour stir fry with mini corn on cob, mangetout, broccoli, cauliflower, red onion, carrots, red and yellow peppers and leeks. Sweet sour sauce a la Ken Hom. (Aldi such good value for vegetables!)

• Hi Tubbyteacher,

Thank you! :-) I think the salmon looks very pale - but it tasted really good. :-)

Your meal sounds really good - I love all the veggies you've mentioned - and like the idea of the mini corn on the cob - I always think they look lovely in meals. A rainbow of veggies there on your plate!

Great that you have a good supermarket for good-value veg. We don't have an Aldi where I live, but I've heard they are really good value.

Hope you are having a really good week and enjoy your evening!

• Tonight I had turkey and mixed veg (peas, carrots and cauliflower florets) I made a gravy with a veggie stockpot thickened with a little cornflower. Didn't think to take a photo though 😢

• Hi Sopmarfree,

I love turkey - one of my favourite kinds of meat. Maybe take a photo next time, and do a post - if you feel like it - it would be great to see it and share your meal idea. :-) Those vegetables sound great as well. Hope you enjoyed it.

• Nut roast and a spicy Quorn burger in harissa flatbreads, with sweet potato fries. Not flash but very tasty :)

• Hi Euryleia,

I love your beautiful peacock feather icon - so beautiful. :-) Your meal sounds incredibly delicious - it's a long time since I've had a nut roast - I may need to look into that! :-) What are 'harissa flatbreads' - is 'harissa' a spice? I associate it with something 'hot' but don't know why.

I really like sweet potato fries, they are delicious.

Hope you're having a good evening.

• Thanks, I have lots of peacock feathers in my bedroom which I just love looking at. This is just a pic I found online though.

Here you go :) bbcgoodfood.com/glossary/ha... Hadn't really had it before til I'd tried these breads :)

These nut roasts were from ASDA, and Watitrose do some nice parsnip ones with cashews. Definitely worth investigating!

• Thanks for that information, and it looks like a great spice mix. Delicious. I love spices and they add such a lot to food - a good kick for the metabolism too - I think I've read that is the case.

Thanks for the recommendations for the nut roasts as well - the combination of parsnip with cashew sounds particularly good. I will definitely be investigating! Thank you! :-)

• Harrisa is a mixture of spices that are North African in origin I think. Can get as powder or paste, rally nice. I have Rise Harissa paste and marble a little into yogurt for a really special dressing/dip, for almost anything if I am honest. Well worth trying.

• Hi Ceals,

Thanks for that info - your idea to marble the Harissa paste into the yoghurt for a special dressing/dip sounds really great. What a good idea. I agree, that's definitely well worth trying. I am looking forward to some salad dips etc - but hope the sun will shine more before I get into those a bit more. :-)

Hope you're having a good week.

• Looks yummy.

I had sardines with olive oil dressing and a massive chopped salad. Tomatoes, cucumber, celery, mushrooms, sugar snap peas, red pepper, gerkins, spring onions, radishes and dollop of mayo.

I've got a stilton and celery dessert. I always go for strong cheese. Then I don't need so much :)

• Hi Jopo,

Thanks! :-)

Wow, your meal sounds fantastic. Sardines are soooo healthy, and all those delicious salad ingredients and a delicious olive oil dressing - and I love the dessert too - I bet the stilton and celery went really well together. Going for strong cheese is a good tactic - so you can enjoy it and not have an excessive amount - good idea! :-) I would be tempted to have some walnuts with that dessert - do you ever do that, or keep to the basic stilton and celery?

Hope you're having a good week and enjoy your evening.

• My tea was inspired by the TV show last night - trust me I'm a doctor. It said we need to eat oily fish twice a week 🐟🐟 and I love sardines !

Yes, big fan of nuts. I'm going to plant an almond tree this year. My Dad has a walnut tree and pickles them. Delicious !

• Hi Jopo,

Yes, I saw that programme last night too - it was very inspiring - and excellent that you like sardines. So do I. :-)

I think it's really great that you're going to plant an almond tree this year. I've never had a pickled walnut! Something else to try! :-)

Yes, here's to 2 portions of oily fish a week - it's very tasty fish afterall - mackerel, salmon, sardines.... yum! Can't think of any more types of oily fish - but there must be more to try. :-)

• Only wish I liked goats cheese but its one cheese that doesn't do it for me. 🐐. That supposed to be a goat emoji lol.

Gosh you must try a pickled walnut, of course homemade ones are usually the best. You may find them on a WI market stall. They get better with age. You have to pickle the walnuts when they are green which means you eat the shell and all.

Xx

• Wow, you're teaching me something there - I didn't realise the walnuts were green and it included the shell - interesting! :-) I will do my best to find some to give them a try. I'm glad we talked about it! :-)

You have more emoji's than me - I only seem to find the smiley face and that's it - but I can do sunglasses too 8-) which I always think is cook.

Zest 8-) xx

• Yes pickled walnuts are the best! X

• I really want to get some now, isou7000 :-)

• I love pickled walnuts too. Usually have them at Xmas with cold turkey. I must see if I can get some more, once a year isn't enough, thanks for the reminder jopo :)

• Hope you find some Sailsalot - I've looked so far in the Coop, and Health food shop, but not managed to find any yet. :-)

• Just looked at Tesco Groceries online and they appear to have some Zest . Might add them to my list next week :)

• I'm in Guernsey, and we don't have a Tesco's unfortunately. Although I think one of the shops does stock some Tesco's products, so maybe I will try that shop. Thanks for that - really helpful. :-) I really would like to try them. :-)

• Just wanted to update you jopo ; isou7000 ; and Sailsalot that I have been successful in my quest for pickled walnuts - managed to buy some in Waitrose. I had one with some stilton, cheddar cheese and small rye crackers - it was interesting! I was surprised by how 'mushy' the texture was - is that how they should be? I imagined they would be more crunchy - similar to a raw walnut.

I think I prefer them un-pickled - but I was glad of the experience of trying them. Maybe they will grow on me, as I have the remainder of the jar to finish. :-) I love new experiences, and like to try out new foods, so thanks for encouraging me! :-)

• I'm afraid you need my Dads homemade ones. They are amazing. ! Xx

• I guess I need to find some nicer ones. :-) But I've only tried one so far - maybe the others in the jar might be nicer. :-) xx

• Aww yum. Glad you liked them.

Maybe try some from different shops to see what you like best 😘

• I'll have to wait till I get off the island again, because it was the only shop that seems to have them. I think they were quite nice though - just not what I was expecting in terms of texture, but I now realise they must vary. :-)

• Looks great, but I can't eat fish unfortunately πŸ™ I had a small lean pork steak, roasted with a couple of sprays of 1 cal, mashed potato, peas, broccoli, cauliflower and baby carrots, sage and onion stuffing and gravy 479 calories.

• Hi Caz,

Thanks! :-) Your Pork Steak sounds great. Along with all your lovely veggies and mashed potato - plus gravy etc - I like the sound of your meal very much.

Hope you've had a great day and that you have a really good evening.

• I had spaghetti carbonara I used skimmedmilk for the sauce very lean bacon just a little and low fat cheese. It is weeks since I had pasta and I wanted to use something that was in the cupboard as I didnot get out get out today.

I have notbeen good this week wothmy food no excuse really I have been felling a bit down, and just found it difficult. Anyway after tomorrow's weigh in I wil get back ontrack. I have to give myself a kick up the buuuuuuuum.

• Hi Caroline,

Ooooh, I really love Spaghetti Carbonara - and it sounds like you've made a really good one there. :-) I bet you enjoyed it! :-)

I am so sorry to hear that your week hasn't been so good though - and that you've been feeling a bit down. I would like to send you a virtual hug (((Caroline))) and say that I hope your weigh-in goes ok tomorrow, and that you feel a bit better - be kind to yourself if you can.

Zest :-) xx

• Oven baked smoked basa (reduced price πŸ™‚) served on steamed curly kale, topped with a poached egg, and with roasted red pepper on the side. It was an experiment. Mr B pronounced it good.

I assume you cook your Vegetable Bonanza in the oven Zest How long for? What temperature? Looks yummy.

• Hi MissisB,

Your meal sounds delicious, and I especially like the sound of the poached egg on top - what a great addition, and excellent that Mr B pronounced it 'good' - that is praise indeed! :-)

Yes, I cooked it in the oven - I start it off on the hob to heat through, for about 5 minutes or so, and then I put it in the oven for about 45 minutes to an hour at 180'C. I keep the lid on the pot for the first 30 minutes and then take it off for the remaining time, and I add cheese (either some haloumi, cheddar or goat's cheese) about 15 to 20 mins before it's due to be ready. Cheese is an optional extra of course, but it does taste really good!

Hope you have a lovely evening and that your week is going well.

• Thank you. I do like the sound of that - and the cheese.

• Looks lovely! I can't photograph mine, I've eaten itπŸ˜‚. I had a baked potato with beans and a little left over chicken from the roast dinner last night 😁

• I also had Chicken with a baked potatoe but topped mine with homemade coleslaw made from chopped cabbage, onions applesa and grated carrots mixed with fat free yoghurt and low fat mayo was really lovely.

• Hi Kath,

Your meal sounds really good - your homemade coleslaw sounds delicious in particular. Yum!

• Hi Barne,

Your meal does sound delicious, I agree with kath50 - really good! :-)

Thanks for your reply and I hope you're having a good week.

• Hi Zest that looks yummy :-)

I had salmon too, but in a risotto; do you remember I posted the recipe not long ago?

XX

• Hi isou7000 - yes I do remember you posting a risotto recipe and I have a link here to it, as I've been meaning to try it - it sounded so delicious:

healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh...

Hope you're having a wonderful week.

• Yes thanks πŸ™

Half term frolics lol πŸ˜‚

How about you? Xx

• I bet you're busy with those half-term frolics - we don't have half-term till next week, but as I don't have any children, it doesn't really affect me personally. :-)

I am looking forward to the weekend though. Nothing specific planned - which is great! I'd like to catch up with a few things at home, and hopefully get out and about for a good walk and maybe even a run! xxx

• Yes just a bit. We just did some baking, but I've been quite restrained and had 1 biscuit πŸͺ

Wishing you a lovely weekend and enjoy your run xx

• Thanks isou7000 - and you have been very restrained having the one biscuit - well done you! :-) xxx

• Thank you. They were gingerbread. (Recipe in topics).

The kids love messing about with the cookie cutters so it's always a good excuse and their grandparents are coming to stay tomorrow for 5 weeks so they wanted to do them for them really xx

• I'm going to link to that post, it looks great! :-)

healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh...

• Thank you 😊

Lovely to talk to you xxx

• Looks lovely. Randomly I had Cajun salmon as well with baked sweet potato, griddeled asparagus with balsamic dressing & parmasan shaivings & roasted basil tomatoes. Hubby had the same but with 2 jacket potatoes with lashings of butter πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I love this sort of food

Donster 😍

• Hi Donster,

Yay to Cajun Salmon - great choice! :-) I love those spices very much. Your meal sounds incredibly tasty - the roasted basil tomatoes sound amazing - your hubby's meal sounds good too. :-)

Here's to a great weekend!

• Hi awesome dinner there! We had a tuna steak, baby potatoes and asparagus. I make my own teriyaki sauce which is just some honey soy sauce garlic and ginger.

• Hi ClubW,

Thanks! I did enjoy it. Oooh, a tuna steak - that sounds really good! :-) Brilliant that you made your own Teriyaki sauce - bet that was really delicious!

Hope you have a lovely weekend.

• Hi Zest, hope you're well πŸ˜€

Last night I had a jacket potato left over from the night before, I cut it into small cubes and stir fried it with cherry tomatoes and rocket with cubes of feta cheese on the top.

It was one of those use up end of bags in the fridge sort of meals but it was so good I'll do it again !

• Hi Fran,

Yes, I'm doing fine thanks, and I hope you are too. :-)

I love the sound of your meal - very inventive! Delicious flavours. I love feta cheese too. Great idea.

Hope you have a really good weekend.

• hi...

yesterday i put some "beef cheeks" in the slow cooker to cook slowly all day. Then when i got home i cooked some root veg and put that with it... it was delicious.. The stock you get from it is amazing.. x

• Hi Claz,

I love your badge 'Team Saturday Rocks' - excellent that your team did so well this week.

I bet your Beef Cheeks meal tasted incredibly good - having been slow cooked all day. Fantastic! Like you said, the stock must be amazing.

Wishing you a really great weekend.

• Hi Zest and everyone, Well we had to find a pets at home Monday and happened across an Aldi good prices & selection. So yesterday for lunch I made soup Carrot & Swede, frozen kale, peas & veg stock mint etc... then blitzed in my blender and when in the bowl added a two teaspoons of coconut low fat yogurt made enough for today as well. For Dinner had frozen Smoked Haddock poached and Wholegrain & Quinoa with seeds 2 mins microwave with peas for colour as I had my veg at lunch. Hubbie had the same larger portion with Wholegrain rice.

• This week ar Lidl they have turkey breast steaks at Β£1.99 for 375g

• Hi Melorr,

I love it when things are on special offer. That sounds like a good value buy there!

Hope you have a great weekend.

• Hi Kazzy17,

I love your yellow sunflower - so bright and sunny! Glad you found a great place to get your vegetables - sounds like you did lots of great things with them - your meal sounds really good! Wow, I bet that soup is DELICIOUS!!! Hope you enjoy it again today, as I know you are planning to have some today as well as yesterday.

I absolutely love smoked Haddock - your dinner sounds really really good!

Hope you have a lovely weekend.

• Thanks Zest yes still enjoyed soup today the twist of coconut low fat yogurt helped I think made is creamy but only two teaspoons lol... I am tempted to buy fresh smoked haddock though Zest look so much nicer than the frozen. Have a great weekend

Kazzy ;)

• If you do get the fresh smoked haddock, let me know if it tastes better than the frozen. It's years since I've had any of the fresh stuff, because I've enjoyed the frozen haddock for its convenience and value etc.

Here's to a great weekend.

• Will do still have a packet of Frozen Tesco or Morrison can't remember but I like you bought it for the convenience. Zest with the fresh you can get smoked Cod as well as the Smoked haddock. Less colouring maybe. So if you see fresh I would buy it. With the frozen it's not always a middle cut as well and the same with Salmon fillets. My fish lesson for the night he he. It's nice to have the flavour as well. I love Mackerel

but it's very high in fat so should I be eating it????

• Hi Kazzy17,

Smoked cod sounds interesting - I've never tried that. It is possible to buy haddock that doesn't have much colouring in it as well, so that's something to bear in mind too. :-) I'm not too worried about the cut of the fish really - but I know what you mean about the middle cut being a bit nicer. I appreciate your fish lesson though - many thanks! :-)

Yes, I would say eating oily fish is excellent, and if you want to see an article about the health benefits of eating fish, this is a good article:

authoritynutrition.com/11-h...

• I will have a look Zest ;)

• Hi Zest really interesting article that has helped a lot. I take a low dose of Vitamin D3 for back & Arthritis both bad :( but eating an oily fish once or twice a week sounds much better. Bring on the Mackerel and Have a Great Weekend Zest ;) Karen

• You too Karen, glad you found it helpful. :-)

• Your salmon looks good Zest :) and the sort of veg/beans on the side we often have with fish or meat.

As we have family staying made a bit more of and effort than usual last night :) we had chicken goujons which are chicken breasts sliced, dipped in flour, then beaten egg, seasoned breadcrumbs (about one whole grain slice each) with mixed herbs, pepper added. Certainly makes 4 chicken breasts go a lot further and not too bad calorie wise as then oven cooked. A huge plateful for soon to be son in law (tall and young!) who needs more calories than us. Served help yourself style, which I usually do when others are with us, can have as much or little of everything. They had chips, I had a bit of sweet potato mash and peas, lemon wedge on the side. Could be served with just a salad to keep calories lower, would still be very filling.

• Hi Sailsalot - thanks for your kind comments. :-) Great that you have some family staying - and your meal sounds really good! :-) You catered for everyone's needs, and I feel sure they would have really enjoyed it.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend. I'm about to have lunch, and will be having a chicken and avocado sandwich, with some beetroot salad on the side, so I'm looking forward to that!

• Sadly Sailsalot, I can't take the credit for the salmon pictured. It's Zest's creation.

I'm the sardine girl :). Definitely not worthy of a photo for this forum. :) XX 🐟🐟

• I beg to disagree jopo - I think a photo of your sardines would be great! :-) (sorry - that just sounds 'wrong' doesn't it...) lol :-) But seriously, share your meal ideas with a photo if you want to, as it really can be inspiring to see different meals. :-)

• Sounds good 😊

• Thanks Htrep - hope you're having a good week. :-)

You may also like...