Help

Hi everyone!

I have just stopped smoking with the help of the Health Unlocked stop smoking forum and now I need to lose a bit of weight. I don't want to let it get out of control as I have already put on half a stone! I have two jobs and work a lot of hours so naturally at 52 I do get really tired and find going out on my precious evenings off is absolute torture for me. I was supposed to go running last night but instead I laid on my sofa with a tub of ice cream. I guess there is my answer lol! When I was younger I was so good at losing weight but I just don't seem to have the motivation or commitment anymore. What is wrong with me? How can I get my motivation back? Help ;-)

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Wendywoo66,

Welcome to the Weight Loss NhS forum. Congratulations on having stopped smoking, that is brilliant!!! :-) Please read our Welcome Newbie post, to get an idea of things in the forum that people have found helpful - it's in the Pinned posts area - right-hand-side of the homepage (or at the bottom of the screen if you're accessing via a mobile device).

Please join in with any Challenges you like the look, of and I'd recommend having a look at the NHS 12 week plan, as it is really good, and easy to follow.

Wishing you a great week.

Lowcal :-)

• Quitting smoking is the most important thing a body can do. Well done , I was a smoker untii I was 34 ( thats now thirty years ago) and the sooner a person quits the better it is long term.

There may be times on your weightloss journey that you are tempted to have a cigarette in order to keep you hands out of the biscuit tin, but please really really try to resist smoking again.

Middle / old age creeps up on us much faster than we ever think it will, and smoking related illness is something I would not wish on my worst enemy. Be strong, lose weight slowly and safely so that you dont get hungry, and persevere a pound or two at a time. Good luck. You've already made a difference 😊

• So true , elliebath. I ended up with COPD. caused by a lifetime of smoking and it ain't fun!

• well done Wendy for giving up the ciggy's its no easy job to do. It does get easier though and I have been off them for 2 years now. Many people cave to the increased weight factor, but I think you're doing the right thing now by controlling it. I didn't and now I have 2 stone to lose!!!!!! So keep your motivation strong and good luck you CAN do it.

• Congratulations on quitting smoking. I know just how hard that is. I quit 10 years ago after smoking for 50 years and I regret so much not doing it earlier. Good luck with your weight loss🙂

You may also like...