Spelt Bread

Spelt Bread

For Lowcal the recipe is use for Spelt bread is that showing on the back of the Doves Farm Spelt Flour bag, but its quite a dense bread and I do like a bit of a 'rise' so I double the yeast they suggest. 1tsp is about 5g but Aldi (where I tend to shop) sells it in sachets of 7g but I use two, it does make a difference.

I also note that Mr Paul Hollywood tends to use twice the yeast in most of his bread recipes, and I love him, as a baking god, so it must be right.

As spelt flour is quite expensive an alternative is to cut it with another flour, with more gluten, to give it a bit of bounce

Fran182716 of all the books Jamie has written (I am a bigger Nigel Slater fan if I am honest) this has to be one of his best......some how you feel better by just sitting reading through it..........perhaps the goodness seeps out of the book and in to your body by osmosis?

5 Replies

• Lol maybe it does, and the photos are beautiful!

• I made (however didnt eat it as I a detoxing) the Harissa roasted Aubergine last night - my husband said it was delicious (and he hates vegetables), cant wait to try it.

• Really love aubergine, that sounds delicious will give it a try ☀️

• Hi Mel,

Thank you so much.

I'll look forward to trying it out.

Should be really tasty. :-)

Lowcal :-)

• Spelt is quite dense, a protein flour too, maybe a few grams of rice flour?

I have used doves farm dried yeast, works out at 1 1/2teasp I n a Panasonic bread maker, any more and it fails to work, be warned!

You may also like...