Ideas for Low Calorie/Healthy Food to Choose from Indian Restaurant Menu?

I am going out to an Indian Restaurant tonight, and wondering what to choose from the menu to ensure I don't do too much damage to my weight loss goals. I've heard that tandoori chicken is a good option, and also boiled rice and perhaps a dhal curry, but wondered if anyone has any good ideas or experiences that they would like to share, to help me think about my choices tonight!

Lowcal :-)

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Order something that isn't based on a cream sauce.

Usually an Indian Night for me is and 'OH WELL' night for me.

This means I have what I want but am sensible with ordering. So whereas before we would get chips, rice and a naan bread each plus a paratha, we now only get one or the other of chips/rice, 1 naan bread, 1 paratha. I also eat less of the side orders than usual and only popadoms for starter.

I'll then make up by doing more exercise, and changing what I eat for a couple of days.

Indian is one of the hardest things to calorie count on as every one has their own recipes, which is why its an 'OH WELL' day!

• Hi Bunblebeaz,

Your reply is very helpful - thanks for that. I will certainly avoid any creamy sauces.

I am looking forward to the meal, as I know the food is likely to be quite tasty!

• I now go for Vegetable Balti (Always ask to make sure they don't put cream in though) and boiled rice which I either share with my wife or leave a little. I no longer have the Naan or Poppadom etc. If we are having starters then I sometimes have Chicken Tika which is reasonably healthy.

• Hi OlsBean,

Thanks for your suggestions. I am feeling hungry now, and looking forward to the meal.

Many thanks,

You may also like...